Honored Contributor

Re: Should a Five Year Old Be taken Hunting

Hopefully the parent knows this child and how they'd handle it.  Wonder what they hoped to do by taking the child out? 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

I'm not seeing the problem. Besides the fact that it's really none of our business anyway. News Flash, parents get to make these types of decisions for their children, even if they happen to be royalty. 

@jaxs mom, we're just giving our opinion here. No one is setting out for England to prevent them from doing it.

I eat meat but abhor any kind of sport killing. And I think much of what passes as hunting is for sport.

—————

SuzyQ3:  Exactly.  I despise hunting!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

In the US, yes, five is too young on public lands. In the UK is is traditional and in a controlled environment it is okay.

Children who live on farms are exposed to animals being killed for food from birth.  City folks are not used to this and may get upset, but country kids do not.

i am often amazed at the 4H kids who sell their animals for college money at the county fairs after raising them from birth.  They know they are not pets and seem to do fine.  

I know I would be a mess.  I get too attached.

Unfortunately, they aren't all fine.  Our county fair just ended.  Yesterday was the day all the animals that were sold were hauled away.  There are always a lot of crying kids on that day.  It's very sad.  

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

I think it may teach them bad habits. I myself could not kill anything with a weapon. And my kids because of being around a weird family , my in-laws, they taught my kids to just abuse animals. Didn't like it then and don't really like it now.

Whaaaatttt?

I'd be darned if I'd let my children around people that abused animals. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

No.

I think a child can be taught gun safety without them having to kill.

I know I would have been traumatized as a child had I shot a living creature.

@QueenDanceALot

ITA .... five is much too young.   But, hey, the queen shoots & kills animals --- for the sport of killing, NOT survival  --- and everyone thinks that is just fine.

@Tinkrbl44, that is a very broad brush you are using here.  No, not everyone thought it was fine.  I surely didn't and I'll guarantee you I"m not alone in that thinking.

Honored Contributor

British live in a totally different culture than Americans. Esp. British royals. He is the future king of England and will be raised as they have always raised their kings and exactly as his father was raised.

Honored Contributor

I abhor “sport” hunting myself but most common people hunt to use the  meat and byproducts. It’s kind of hypocritical to say you abhor hunting but will let someone else kill the meat for you. That’s not even hunting.  That’s slaughter. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Children who are raised on farms are aware there are pets and there are animals who earn their keep - milk cows, horses, alpacas & sheep - and there are animals raised to be eaten and animals hunted to be eaten. My Dad did not hunt but we would see the hunters coming out of the woods carrying deer, pheasants and rabbits all the time.

My dad never hid that when the pigs were taken away it was to become hams, pork chops & sausage. I once accidently killed a chicken when I was trying to gather eggs. My Mom made me help her clean that chicken and prepare it for dinner.We always knew where our dinner came from, and it wasn't the grocery store.

You know animals have no problem with killing each other - be it for food or because they are afraid or just to be the alpha leader. And they do so very cruely.Animals are not all innocent little sweethearts, nor do they have the emotions people have and love to assign to their pets, or to all animals.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Children who are raised on farms are aware there are pets and there are animals who earn their keep - milk cows, horses, alpacas & sheep - and there are animals raised to be eaten and animals hunted to be eaten. My Dad did not hunt but we would see the hunters coming out of the woods carrying deer, pheasants and rabbits all the time.

My dad never hid that when the pigs were taken away it was to become hams, pork chops & sausage. I once accidently killed a chicken when I was trying to gather eggs. My Mom made me help her clean that chicken and prepare it for dinner.We always knew where our dinner came from, and it wasn't the grocery store.

You know animals have no problem with killing each other - be it for food or because they are afraid or just to be the alpha leader. And they do so very cruely.Animals are not all innocent little sweethearts, nor do they have the emotions people have and love to assign to their pets, or to all animals.

@151949  How did you accidently kill the chicken?  DId you grab her by her little throat while taking her egg?

Animals do have emotions; they love and protect their litters; they know when a family member is ill; they lay across the graves of loves ones.

They feel love, pain, joy, tenderness-some things some humans never feel.

just sayin'.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@chessylady

That is up to the parents of the 5 year old. Is it physically dangerous? Not when compared to riding in a motor vehicle on public road ways. Is it mentally damaging?  

hn

hckynut(john)