Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should a Five Year Old Be taken Hunting

No! Absolutely not. 5 years old is just too young to go hunting. Period.

Honored Contributor

My first thought was 'no', mainly because of the sound of a rifle.

Unless there are special ear muffs for children that would prevent ear drum damage.

Also, it would depend on the child.  Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea for a very sensitive, quiet child. 

Some children are more adventurous and are able to witness just about anything.  'Nothing bothers them'. 

Wishing everyone safety, no matter where, what, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I grew up on a farm and there was hunting going on as well as kittens being born dead, piglets being eaten by larger pigs, etc. etc.    Sad but those things happen in life.    There isn't a person alive that will not at some time experience or already have experienced something tragic.   Learning to deal with it is a good thing because it will happen.  I am no way trying to make light of any situation but as I said protecting someone from life,the good and the bad,  isn't a good thing either.

Honored Contributor

That's a decision for parents to make. They would know if it would be upsetting to their child. I wouldn't do it because I hate seeing dead animals.

Honored Contributor

No.

I think a child can be taught gun safety without them having to kill.

I know I would have been traumatized as a child had I shot a living creature.

Honored Contributor

That is their business, not mine. 

Honored Contributor

I beleive how a person answers is going to be based on SO many factors.

In my world, no issue with it. My 12 year old has has his hunting license for many years. He's been going to the range with me since he was tall enough to see over the ledge (and he's tall so we've been going together for quite some time); same with his older brothers. 

Wonder if they've taken him fox-hunting yet? Another controversial issue but if you've been a part of it ( I have for as long as I can remember), you know that the vast majority of those who ride NEVER see a fox their entire life doing so; it's all about the social aspect and the cross-country riding. 

Honored Contributor

It depends on the culture you are in. 

When the participants are very well trained and it is their way of life, it seems young but isn't for them. It's much more about the adults, their knowledge and safety practices, than it is the kid being 5 years old, that would make this a good or a bad thing.

Honored Contributor

In my family yes.

Honored Contributor

to be perfectly honest, i would not even want my 25 year old to be taken hunting.

i wonder if princess charlotte will be taken hunting as well when she is five years old?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein