Honored Contributor

Should We Go to Boston with the Hurricane Coming?

DD is in a wedding there Sunday afternoon. She and I are planning to drive up tomorrow. (DH can't go.). 

We are the only ones from this area going up. The bride's family lives here, but they are already there. The couple has had to reschedule twice because of COVID, and this time they are not canceling. The reception will be moved inside. We are scheduled to come home Tuesday, as we were hoping to explore the area, which of course will not happen. Neither one of us has been there.

DD has talked to the bride twice today. The bride is stressed, but the wedding is on. 

She is trying to figure out what to do. I don't think we should chance it, but she doesn't want to let her good friend down.

Does anyone live up there? What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Should We Go to Boston with the Hurricane Coming?

@beach-mom wrote:

DD is in a wedding there Sunday afternoon. She and I are planning to drive up tomorrow. (DH can't go.). 

We are the only ones from this area going up. The bride's family lives here, but they are already there. The couple has had to reschedule twice because of COVID, and this time they are not canceling. The reception will be moved inside. We are scheduled to come home Tuesday, as we were hoping to explore the area, which of course will not happen. Neither one of us has been there.

DD has talked to the bride twice today. The bride is stressed, but the wedding is on. 

She is trying to figure out what to do. I don't think we should chance it, but she doesn't want to let her good friend down.

Does anyone live up there? What do you think?

I live on The Cape and we're preparing for the worst. I would stay home, wwe're expecting power outages , flooding and downed trees.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

It looks like the recent track is moving more inland. But the thing is big enough to cover the whole state. Sunday will be the midst of it all.  If In Boston propper and they get torrential rains it's a good bet the waterfront area will flood.  I don't know which direction you are driving in from , but,  if traveling up the coast won't you be moving WITH the Hurricane? 

Honored Contributor

Trust your intuition.  Express your sadness that you will miss the wedding.  Safety is a main concern, why would you place yourself and your family at risk.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom Is it possible the venue and the caterers will make the decision to cancel at the last minute? If so, you would be in harm's way for no reason.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom,

I don't live there but just reading the weather reports for this hurricane, they are predicting it could make landfall from Jersey, Long Island and up to Maine, the main day being Sunday.

I can understand any bride hoping to go ahead with her wedding but it does seem an irresponsible thing

to do right now and not keeping others safety as a priority.

It would be awful for you and your daughter to be stuck in a situation that is inescapable and possibly life threatening.

Well, I just always go towards safety

because life can be taken in an instant.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom Is attending via Zoom an option?  We had some family members attend a  funeral that way last year.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom   I don't live there, but it sounds like this will be a very big life-threatening hurricane.  I would not want to be going to Boston.  The venue could cancel the wedding anyway.

I do understand your daughter not wanting to disappoint her friend, but her friend is not making a safe decision for her guests by going on with the weddding.  The news is saying to prepare for the worst.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

No, I would not go.

FADDD403-2EFF-44D9-AD5F-F95133D0C75E.jpeg

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom 

You sound unsure of yourself already.  I would not take a chance especially two women, have your husband go along would be a plus but mother nature is no one to fool around with.

Stay home, be safe and send hugs.