Respected Contributor

Re: Should Stores Open for After Christmas Sales on Dec. 25th?

@dex wrote:

I like the stores and businesses to close and give families the chance to have a meal together and connect.I guess that I am just old fashioned.

Don't think you are out of touch.  The trend right now is to reverse this shopping frenzy and pull it back so store workers won't feel pressured to forgo the two most important holiday celebrations in this country.  Good for businesses that recognize they have gone too far.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't taken time yet to read all the replies, but in my opinion, the world isn't a bad and evil place, if in America, we hold to some of the traditions on which we were founded, one being the observance of certain holidays, some Christian, some not (Thanksgiving) where most things that aren't critical (hospitals, fire, police, utility maintenance etc.) are closed.

The problem with the idea of being open, but people getting to choose a floating holiday, or people getting to volunteer when they do or don't work certain holidays, is that most people will be forced to work. There won't really be a choice for the majority of the employees.

The whole black Friday mess now starting on Thanksgiving is so high volume, that stores need virtually all their help, and no one is really given time off. A few may luck into not having to come in till later, as they stagger shifts, but many people who would rather be off and home, are being forced to work to keep their jobs. Opening on Christmas with big discounts, and folks having all those gift cards burning a hole in their wallets would lead to the same kind of shopping frenzy on that day as well.

I remember when, in our area anyway, even holidays like Labor, Memorial,4th of July and Easter were  times you'd find many retail places closed. Now, every day is a money day. 

People have all year to shop, eat out, and spend spend spend. Stores are open longer hours than ever, and there are more options of where to spend your money than ever before. The idea that retail cannot shut down for maybe six days a year, and let that huge number of employees have a day off when many of their friends and family have time off as well, is just greed. My mom is always quick to point out that back in the days when the 'blue laws' (when it was illegal for stores to be open on Sunday) were still practiced, no one ever starved or went naked (because they couldn't get to a store to buy what they needed, anyway). People found time the other six days a week to get their business done.

Yes, it is a new and different world. Yes, not everyone celebrates every holiday. We have more religions (and more people who have no religion) than ever before. But have we become so concerned about the bottom line, that we don't just give people the opportunity to enjoy some communal time off, regardless of how they spend that day?

People do have the option of choosing a field that will insure their time off on certain holidays, and avoid jobs that don't give them that. People have the option of not supporting businesses who open on holidays, if they choose to let their money do the talking. And businesses have the right to open anytime they see fit. But it is sad, that for a few days a year, we can't just stop the madness that shopping and spending has become, and just spend time doing something else.

Honored Contributor

We still have Blue Laws in my area.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I do as well.  Bergen County here!  I have no problem with going to Hudson County or NY if I feel the need to shop but that is rare.  In my Town, the rules wer relaxed for Christmas shoppers at one time but the economy and changes in my area do not warrant it any longer.  

The laws were initially for religious reasons but today, it gives people living in mall towns a break from noise and traffic.  We thought they would change because the laws are really unfair to devout Jewish business owners as they lose income Saturday and Sunday but some Towns such as mine gave special permission to open, if religious cause.  

In Bergen County, NJ we just know you can't shop on Sunday and live with it....

If if anyone is interested:

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/americas-last-ban-sunday-shopping

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Wow! I'm shocked! Can you give some details about them, what is limited/restricted? I know others will disagree, but I think it is kind of nice.

edtited to add: Never mind, I read farther on down and saw another post with NJ information and a link. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I do as well.  Bergen County here!  I have no problem with going to Hudson County or NY if I feel the need to shop but that is rare.  In my Town, the rules wer relaxed for Christmas shoppers at one time but the economy and changes in my area do not warrant it any longer.  

The laws were initially for religious reasons but today, it gives people living in mall towns a break from noise and traffic.  We thought they would change because the laws are really unfair to devout Jewish business owners as they lose income Saturday and Sunday but some Towns such as mine gave special permission to open, if religious cause.  

In Bergen County, NJ we just know you can't shop on Sunday and live with it....

If if anyone is interested:

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/americas-last-ban-sunday-shopping

Thanks for posting this. And I did always wonder about the effects on Jewish people and their businesses, because of the differences in sabath days. It would really cut into their time to do business, so great that there is some common sense used.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio Please see post by Greenhouse. Same county and she described it very well.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Mominohio Please see post by Greenhouse. Same county and she described it very well.

Thank you @proudlyfromNJ We just posted at the same time. I saw her post after yours, and edited my original post to you. 

It must seem like living in another era, to have that much quiet on Sunday's. I do remember the blue laws here in our part of Ohio, but barely. 

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom,   Might be helpful for you to really understand and know what a Pagan is all about.

If I was told I had to spend a long time with groups of people, and all the groups on the list was named..... I would pick the Pagans.   At least I would have a real good time.  And they are very spiritual and close to the universe and nature.  Statues was built that still lives in history of the Pagan Gods and Goddess.   Their holidays is cosmic that honors the change of seasons all year long.   Look at the standing stones that mark the change of seasons.   The Pagans was/are in tune with the universe and earth.   

Oh well.....for you I wish that you have  a wonderful everything that your heart needs.  

Respected Contributor

It comes down to this.....

NO religion should force any business to close their doors.   

That is power gone bad for America.