Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should Stores Open for After Christmas Sales on Dec. 25th?

[ Edited ]

I don't know if retail stores should be open on Christmas or not.  I guess this is something everyone has to answer for themselves as to the appropriateness or whether they would participate.    

Plenty of other types of businesses already are open and always have been.  One of my daughters usually has to work on Christmas so she misses at least part of the day with us.  We just work around it as best we can.  

For me, I always host a big family Christmas dinner and when everyone leaves, I just want to curl up in a ball and collapse, LOL.  So if retail stores start opening on Christmas night, I am not going.  Forget about it.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Some only celebrate a Santa Claus Christmas
Honored Contributor

Of course!    One has to have "somewhere new" to go to show off all the jewelry and clothing gifts just received...................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

I am absolutely stunned....
and whenever I've posted an innocuous little poem, I am equally shocked at the vitriol
Honored Contributor

@sylviahomeatlast wrote:
I am absolutely stunned....
and whenever I've posted an innocuous little poem, I am equally shocked at the vitriol

Vitriol like you posted to ilovehummingbirds?

Valued Contributor

If we do away with similar paid holidays for our government employees, then I am fine with it.  Keep schools, courts, and government offices open, get the mail carriers out there delivering our mail, and stop pretending Christmas and Thanksgiving are national holidays for citizens to spend at home with their families.

I'm just not in favor of a two-tiered system where some work and others do not, especially when the ones who work are frequently the poorest among us.  

Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't matter to me. We have a choice ~ go or stay home. I stay home.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:
I don't know what Christmas the OP is talking about. The one we celebrate with our trees, cookies, candy canes, presents, shopping, Turkey's etc etc is not a religious celebration by any stretch of the imagination. It's a secular or civic holiday that isn't limited to "believers". There is the religious holiday but that's not what our ho ho ho Christmas is about. I'm not in favor of stores opening on Christmas because it is a major holiday and people should be allowed to enjoy it with their families and friends. Yes, people who work in hospitals and firefighters and policemen and other workers that are essential have to work. There's no way around that. But department stores and malls do not fall into that category. Those workers should not be required to service shoppers on Christmas or Easter. Which is also another holiday that is both religious and secular. We don't fill Easter baskets or buy marshmallow Peeps as a demonstration of our faith. We do it because Easter is secular holiday full of fun, food, family and a ham dinner.

Christmas and Easter are religious holidays, meant to commemorate the birth of Jesus and Jesus' resurrection, respectively.   They have been declared legal holidays so people can take the day off to go to church or however they celebrate.  

Many people in this country who are not Christians do not celebrate either of those two holidays; they are just another day.  

Correct there are a lot of people not celebrating those days....but we all are being forced to close businesses or else some people  protest the businesses.    And it hard to find a place to go out to dinner for the evening.   Can't do anything.  In some towns the whole town shuts down.   

When one religion flows over on those that are not part of that religion that is down right wrong.   

Oh well in time world religions will be ban.   Would be part of a action that would help stop wars.

Pagan do not take the masses to war actions.  Notice that?

Please list the modern country that claims Paganism as their national religion.  Yea, there isn't one, hence there is no way for them to start mass war actions as you describe it. The Romans on the other hand, along with the Greeks sure did when they were pagans. 

Besides the fact you can't even get the various pagan groups to agree on anything, so there is no way they could organize to start a war. Good luck getting Hellenic recons, Asatru, Wiccans, ecelectic pagans ect to agree on anything. Not all pagans are fluffy bunny hippies. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I like the stores and businesses to close and give families the chance to have a meal together and connect.I guess that I am just old fashioned.

Honored Contributor

We've had lots of comments here.

When I was young, it never was even an issue. The idea of a business being open on Thanksgiving or Christmas was basically unthinkable...same with the 4th of July and Labor Day too.

If you brought it up in the 60s - people would have thought you were nuts!