Valued Contributor

Re: Should Stores Open for After Christmas Sales on Dec. 25th?

I personally don't care what stores are open on any holiday.  I won't judge anyone who shops on these days.  In other words, I mind my own business---do what I want & have no opinion what others choose to do.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:
I don't know what Christmas the OP is talking about. The one we celebrate with our trees, cookies, candy canes, presents, shopping, Turkey's etc etc is not a religious celebration by any stretch of the imagination. It's a secular or civic holiday that isn't limited to "believers". There is the religious holiday but that's not what our ho ho ho Christmas is about. I'm not in favor of stores opening on Christmas because it is a major holiday and people should be allowed to enjoy it with their families and friends. Yes, people who work in hospitals and firefighters and policemen and other workers that are essential have to work. There's no way around that. But department stores and malls do not fall into that category. Those workers should not be required to service shoppers on Christmas or Easter. Which is also another holiday that is both religious and secular. We don't fill Easter baskets or buy marshmallow Peeps as a demonstration of our faith. We do it because Easter is secular holiday full of fun, food, family and a ham dinner.

Christmas and Easter are religious holidays, meant to commemorate the birth of Jesus and Jesus' resurrection, respectively.   They have been declared legal holidays so people can take the day off to go to church or however they celebrate.  

Many people in this country who are not Christians do not celebrate either of those two holidays; they are just another day.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:
I don't know what Christmas the OP is talking about. The one we celebrate with our trees, cookies, candy canes, presents, shopping, Turkey's etc etc is not a religious celebration by any stretch of the imagination. It's a secular or civic holiday that isn't limited to "believers". There is the religious holiday but that's not what our ho ho ho Christmas is about. I'm not in favor of stores opening on Christmas because it is a major holiday and people should be allowed to enjoy it with their families and friends. Yes, people who work in hospitals and firefighters and policemen and other workers that are essential have to work. There's no way around that. But department stores and malls do not fall into that category. Those workers should not be required to service shoppers on Christmas or Easter. Which is also another holiday that is both religious and secular. We don't fill Easter baskets or buy marshmallow Peeps as a demonstration of our faith. We do it because Easter is secular holiday full of fun, food, family and a ham dinner.

Christmas and Easter are religious holidays, meant to commemorate the birth of Jesus and Jesus' resurrection, respectively.   They have been declared legal holidays so people can take the day off to go to church or however they celebrate.  

Many people in this country who are not Christians do not celebrate either of those two holidays; they are just another day.  

Correct there are a lot of people not celebrating those days....but we all are being forced to close businesses or else some people  protest the businesses.    And it hard to find a place to go out to dinner for the evening.   Can't do anything.  In some towns the whole town shuts down.   

When one religion flows over on those that are not part of that religion that is down right wrong.   

Oh well in time world religions will be ban.   Would be part of a action that would help stop wars.

Pagan do not take the masses to war actions.  Notice that?

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

They already are... The Safeway stores in my area were open last Christmas and the one before that... I don't have a problem with stores being open 24/7/ and 365 days a year if that's what they want to do. Personally, I don't think they need to be, but it doesn't bother me if they are. I would only wish, though, that management would make the effort to staff them with folks who are willing to work on holidays, so those who feel specific holidays are important to them can observe them.

There were a handful of stores this year that made a rather holier than thou spectacle of the fact that they were closed on Thanksgiving... I had to wonder, though, when they set up and prepared for Black Friday...? The stores were closed, but were some employees expected to show at some point on Thursday to prepare for Friday...?

Thank you.  The stores that are making a huge deal about being closed are only doing so because they wouldn't be making any money on that day.  It certainly isn't because of the company doing so for their employees, lol.  Anyone who might believe that is naive imo.

I agree. In some cases they are businesses that do a lot of online business - maybe more than in-store - and stores like REI don't have hordes of Xmas shoppers dying to buy. It would cost them more in salaries and electricity than they would earn in profits.

lol! That is exactly what I said when REI announced they'd be closing for the holidays. I thought, nobody gives a rats a$% if REI is open or not!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

In that there are so many Christians in the United States, the stores should be closed on Christmas.  There's no way you can staff a mall anchor store with non Christion associates.  These stores can't be open under staffed, that means that you are going to have to pull in Christion associates!  Surely, anyone can stay home for a day!!!  (most stores will give you days off as requested if you don't abuse the privledge.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Correct there are a lot of people not celebrating those days....but we all are being forced to close businesses or else some people  protest the businesses.    And it hard to find a place to go out to dinner for the evening.   Can't do anything.  In some towns the whole town shuts down.   

When one religion flows over on those that are not part of that religion that is down right wrong.   

Oh well in time world religions will be ban.   Would be part of a action that would help stop wars.

Pagan do not take the masses to war actions.  Notice that?

Where do you live? I live in the south and they close for everything because of religion and there are all kinds of places open on Christmas even if it is just part of the day. The US is 80% Christian whereas Australia is only 61% Christian and it is the LAW in many towns and terrorities in Australia that businesses stay closed on Christmas, It is even the law they be closed on Sundays in some towns. They couldn't open if they wanted to. There is ONE day here where a good amount of stores are closed, and some stores even open later in the evening and many restaurants, movie theatres and super markets are opened the whole day. No one is going to die over this. 

And it is actually a myth that relgion is the major cause of the wars in the world. The Encylopedia of Wars shows that out of the 1,763 wars in human history, only 123 were religious in nature. That is a little under 7%. The main cause was opposition to govt, economic, idealogical, political or social systems. 

I am an Atheist and I can deal with one day of the year where I can't shop at Target. I can still go to a movie or out to eat if I wish to.

And people aren't being forced to close down there stores. They have that option just as those have to option to boycott or protesting. Those are the things you endure for leaving in a free society.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I am an Atheist and I can deal with one day of the year where I can't shop at Target. I can still go to a movie or out to eat if I wish to.

I think you can still shop at Target online on Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I think you can still shop at Target online on Christmas.

Well there you go. I won't die. Cat Happy

JFK
Trusted Contributor

I don't care one way or another as I've had jobs where I've worked varous holidays.

The first thought that popped into my mind though was that people who tend to procrastinate would probably love it. Talk about shopping for a last-minute item. . .

Respected Contributor

Look it is Nov. 28th and already I am sick of that one holiday that comes in Dec. that everyone has already been celebrating now for weeks or months even.       

It really is a over kill.   Don't you think?    Yeah it is a over kill.

Oh well...(smile).... I really do not go to shopping centers.  So it really does not matter to me what stores are closed or open.

I think life would be nicer and all if we all just celebrated big time every change of seasons such as Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.  That is a cosmic event that effects the whole earth.