Trusted Contributor

Re: Should Speaking On A Hand Held Phone While Driving Be against The Law?

@Cats3000 wrote:

NO!!!  Nor should adults be required to wear seat belts in a car or helmets on a motorcycle.  I'm tired of the government playing "nanny" by telling me what can and cannot do, can and should not eat, etc.  I'm an adult.  Let me live my life the way I want to live my life.

As for children, it ought to be the responsibility of their parents to keep them safe from harm.  The government shouldn't have to dictate "parenting".  Unfortunately, when parents fail in their responsibility, someone has to speak for the child and that becomes the government.

Seat belt laws and cell phone laws are not comparable.  But I agree with you on one point.

I could care less if you (an adult). wear a seat belt or helmet.  Knock yourself out (literally!). Meet your maker on your own term, doesn't bother or affect me or anyone else.

But when your actions are going to possibly hurt others, then I appreciate laws that protect the innocent third parties that you might hurt because of your own bad judgment.  This includes children, whether or not you gave birth to them or not.  They are human beings and if their parents lack the intelligence to protect them (by buckling them in or having them wear a helmet while a passenger on a motorcycle) then the law is there to protect them as well.

Just because someone is a parent does not give them the right to knowingly endanger them.  Sorry, just doesn't work that way!  Your kids have rights too.  You don't get to abuse your kids, nor do you get to put them in harms way because you choose to do so.