Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should Resumes include a Mailing Address?

If you’re not relocating, do you need your address on your resume?

Technically, no. It’s not like anyone ever sends written correspondence by mail anymore so there is no actual need for someone to have your full address sitting on your resume.

That being said, recruiters do want to know where you are and they often want to make sure you’re local. That means you’ll be able to make it into the office for in-person interviews and that they won’t have to pay to relocate you if you get an offer.

If you’re not relocating, you should be indicating your location on your resume header in some way, even if it’s not a complete address. Two examples are below.

Address on resume not relocating

As you can see you can either put your full address or you can just put your city and state. As a local candidate, I do recommend one of these options. 

http://www.prepary.com/address-on-your-resume/

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:
I'm still mystified about cover letters. Do recruiters read them or not?

I did.  I was not a recruiter but in a position of hiring & firing.  The cover letters were always attached (stapled) to the resumes by the time HR got them to me.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

@JBKO, there's no way of knowing this for every employer.  However, it's customary to include one with a resume.  That much has not gone out of style.  It serves as an introduction and why you're interested in the company.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

No home address - email + phone number.
No objective on resume - I put down my profile. No cover letter since most jobs are online. Since online resumes sometimes get wonky when printed. They may contact you do you can send a word doc directly to them.

Good luck.
Honored Contributor

I did hiring - all that info should be included.  We only hired local people because it was very important that they be there in inclement weather.  

Honored Contributor

People who want to move to an area will use a friend's address or family member's address to make it look like they live near the job so that they will be considered.  Or they will just not include an address at all.

I doubt our recruiters read the cover letters.  They get uploaded to a separate file than the resume.  When I look in our database to look at a resume, I don't even see a place to read the cover letter.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Since I'm job hunting, I'll add my two cents. Street addy is no longer included, but youcan leave city and state. Phone number and email addy and LinkedIn link are used. 

Honored Contributor

It's not necessary any more since most initial contact occurs through email or text.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JBKO wrote:

@JBKO,It's still considered professional to introduce yourself through a cover letter.  It's up to the company to read them.

I'll add that most job hunting sites like Indeed ask for the cover letter.

Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

It's not necessary any more since most initial contact occurs through email or text.

Not always @SydneyH.  Believe it or not, some companies don't have those online application systems, especially if they are smaller companies.

*Call Tyrone*