Honored Contributor

Should I send a thank you note for a thank you gift?

I did someone a tremendous favor and she sent me a thank you card with a restaurant gift card in it. Now I think I should send her a thank you note for the gift card - I already called and thanked her.My DH said you don't send a thank you for a thank you. Opinions?

Honored Contributor

Re: Should I send a thank you note for a thank you gift?

No, I would not send a thank you card for a thank you gift. That seems like a never-ending cycle right there. A phone call should be fine.

Honored Contributor

I think I agree with your husband.  You talked to her and thanked her.  

I mean, where does the 'thank you, no thank you, no thank you' ad nauseam thing end?  You know?    Smiley Happy

Thanking her for the thank you gift, on the phone, IMO, was the right thing to do.

Honored Contributor

Since you already called and acknowledged the card, I would think that is sufficient.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I did someone a tremendous favor and she sent me a thank you card with a restaurant gift card in it. Now I think I should send her a thank you note for the gift card - I already called and thanked her.  My DH said you don't send a thank you for a thank you. Opinions?

@151949  I agree with your DH . . . and you did say that you already called and thanked her.

Esteemed Contributor

The phone call as very nice, appropriate, and sufficient.

Honored Contributor

This made me laugh-my daughter always writes the sweetest thank you notes to me and when I get her note I always thank her by phone email sometimes a note too. She said Mom, you don't send a thank you for a thank you. I laughed~she is always teaching me correct etiquette. I think she was born with it but I also gave her some of my favorite etiquette books.

I think she is a naturally thoughtful person and you sound like you are too.

That said, I do think calling her and thanking her was a nice spontaneous thing to do and I agree with others, that is all you neeed to doSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You have already thanked her, can't imagine why you would send a thank you note.

Unless you saved her life, put the flames out if her house was on fire, or bailed her out of jail I think you've met proper etiquette.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hearts to everyone here! I agree with everything that's been said. You thanked your friend with a call - of course that's sufficient! But it's never bad manners to drop a note in the mail IF you're so inclined. I happen to like the art of writing. It's fun to buy whimsical stamps, fun stationery, etc. Who doesn't appreciate getting something fun in the mail...something that's not a bill or a political ad? (I read on here earlier today that someday only the oldsters will know cursive, and we'll use it as a secret code. That'll be me!)

Respected Contributor

OK.  We all agree. No thank you card for the thank you card and gift.

Thank you .. I mean you're welcome.  What do I mean????