Honored Contributor

Re: Should I send a sympathy card?

@beach-mom Why would you not? Not being snarky, honestly, but it's never wrong to send a sympathy card. It's great that you expressed your feelings to her husband, but getting those cards is really nice, as I well know.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I would send the card.  You can kind of say the same things in a different way, but perhaps in the condensed version.

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@beach-mom  Send the card.  Remember that although her husband is suffering this loss, so are other family members.  Children?

He may very well not be the only one who will read the sympathy cards, so a card with maybe condensing what you wrote in the email would be helpful for others to understand how much your friend meant to you.

We need to remember that there are others mourning a death; I know when I've had deaths in the family cards were shared and read.

I am sorry for your loss.

I agree and wherever the cards are left lying about, one can pick them up and read it and say how thoughtful.  I know people who saved cards for years to read again and it gave them comfort.  Emails get deleted, condolence cards get saved usually forever. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you should send a card.It’s the thoughtful thing to do.I’m so very sorry for the loss of your friend.💐

Valued Contributor

Send a homemade or store bought sympathy condolence card, but also follow up with a free condolence sympathy E card, so they can always refer back to both and will bless you for helping them during their dark time of great need to feel connected with humanity.

Honored Contributor

Why not. A card costs comparatively little, even though you've already said what you needed to say.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Booksamillion wrote:
I would send a card too. Little things can mean so much.

Agree 100%. When my Mother died in June I wish more people had taken a few minutes to send a card. I received a sympathy card from a woman my Mom and I knew just from church. She and my Mom exchanged Christmas cards so she knew our address. But others who said they loved me and my Mom so much couldn't be bothered to send a card. Or write a tribute to her online on her memorial page that would only have taken a matter of minutes. 

I set the cards I received on a table with portraits of me and my Mom. The table stayed that way for a couple of months and I saved all the cards.

Send the card @beach-mom, it means everything.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

I would absolutely send a sympathy card, but keep the hand-written message to a minimum. Many people, including me, cherish the wonderful cards that friends send after their loved ones have died. It was comforting to me to look at the thoughtful cards from my mother's friends and know that others loved her so much.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, by all means send a card.  I am sure her husband will appreciate it.  I know you cared deeply for the deceased, I am sorry for your loss. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam