Super Contributor

Re: Should I say something or let it go?

I had a similar situation.  I live in an attached house.  A couple of times I looked out thru my front windows and thought it was raining, but then I realized it wasn't and figured out what was happening.  My next door neighbor had plants on her front stoop (bordering my property) and she would use her hose to water them.  She not only watered the plants, but my bay window, downstairs front window, garbage cans, etc.  This happened a number of times.  I wasn't on great terms with this neighbor so I was super cautious in how I approached this.  I finally left her a polite note saying that she probably wasn't aware that when she watered with the hose she was also watering my windows, etc.  She never said anything to me about it, but it never happened again and from then on she used a watering can.

Honored Contributor

I believe she knows the water is going wherever, but have a feeling she really doesn't care, the plants are on her property and she feels whatever happens watering her flowers is to bad.

if you mention it, have a feeling friendship will be lost. 

Very little you can do. If you want to keep her friendship you say nothing, but if you don't want your property to be washed every day say something casually nicely she might water her plants differently but I doubt it.  

good luck with outcome.

Esteemed Contributor

@carlycat wrote:

Who are you going to talk to about the RAIN falling on your house, driveway, porch, and lawn?????

It doesn't rain everyday.  The neighbor waters every morning, big difference.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

I appreciate the comments that “it’s just water” which is why I’m hesitant to say anything to her but it is bothering me.  She does get the porch wet which is made of wood, the porch railing is dripping, the cement is wet, the grass is wet.  I have to get the newspaper off the driveway before she starts watering.  Her side is completely dry.   I think she’s completely missing the plant and just watering by me.

@Scooty wrote:

I appreciate the comments that “it’s just water” which is why I’m hesitant to say anything to her but it is bothering me.  She does get the porch wet which is made of wood, the porch railing is dripping, the cement is wet, the grass is wet.  I have to get the newspaper off the driveway before she starts watering.  Her side is completely dry.   I think she’s completely missing the plant and just watering by me

I too would feel as you do if every morning I had to face my wood porch, railings, cement, grass and driveway being soaked with water. And you have to rush to pick up your newspaper before that too is soaked?  You have two choices, one being upset every day which is not healthy, or speak nicely to your friend and neighbor and explain the situation.  I can't see that your friend will be angry or upset with you, she may very well not even know the problem she is causing and be apologetic when she is made aware.  Definitely have a talk with her.  Good luck to you and after the talk let us know how it all turned out.  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooty wrote:

I appreciate the comments that “it’s just water” which is why I’m hesitant to say anything to her but it is bothering me.  She does get the porch wet which is made of wood, the porch railing is dripping, the cement is wet, the grass is wet.  I have to get the newspaper off the driveway before she starts watering.  Her side is completely dry.   I think she’s completely missing the plant and just watering by me.

Can the water damage it over time?  Does it require a protective coating?  If it's getting more water than the average amount from the rain in your area, is that detrimental to the wood finish?  I think she's just inconsiderate and knows that you'll just suck it up.  Time to educate her on the right way to do things.  @Scooty

Honored Contributor

Didn’t realize it was wood. Yeah, maybe say something. Does she get it on her wood porch. Educate her about the damage she could be doing to her property. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooty Howling has this been going on?  How long has it bothered you?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Just tell her you forgot to tell her about having your driveway resealed and the need to not have water on it...and ask her if you could help her rehang her plants in a different spot....a small gift wouldn't hurt either as someone else mentioned.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

How about mentioning your wet porch and driveway and that you are afraid you might slip ... could she point her hose in another direction?

@ALRATIBA

Ask her if she could point her house in a different direction!!!

Respected Contributor

I must be missing something. Why is this a problem?