Honored Contributor

Re: Should I say something or let it go?

@Kroppie wrote:

It's water.    Let it go.     Having lived in a townhouse community for over 35 years,  I can honestly say there are many things that warrant complanining.  This does not IMHO.  

@Kroppie  OP seems concerned because, unlike rain, the neighbor’s plant watering is getting on her porch and her plants as well as her driveway. It’s always important to respect another person’s property...a neighbor or a friend.

Super Contributor

Who are you going to talk to about the RAIN falling on your house, driveway, porch, and lawn?????

Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone.  All good comments.  I have in past years taken care of her flowers but this year it is oppressive outside.  And the mosquitoes!  The bees!  I just can’t.  I’m known in this community for my flower garden.  People come by and take pictures.  With the heat i’m just doing what I can.  BTW, her baskets (petunias), are just about dead so...she’s watering for nothing.  I know it’s only water but if my car were in the driveway, she’d be getting that wet.  Last summer she was having work done on her home and she had her car in her driveway.  So the contractors came and parked in my driveway, unloaded their tools on the lawn and started cutting tile.  When I said something to her she couldn’t understand what my problem was.  She is a good hearted person but sometimes just not aware. 

Respected Contributor

It's the end of August.  Did you just notice this going on?  She's most likely had those plants hanging there since Memorial Day and they won't be out there much longer this season.  I would have said something in June, not August.

Respected Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

Thanks everyone.  All good comments.  I have in past years taken care of her flowers but this year it is oppressive outside.  And the mosquitoes!  The bees!  I just can’t.  I’m known in this community for my flower garden.  People come by and take pictures.  With the heat i’m just doing what I can.  BTW, her baskets (petunias), are just about dead so...she’s watering for nothing.  I know it’s only water but if my car were in the driveway, she’d be getting that wet.  Last summer she was having work done on her home and she had her car in her driveway.  So the contractors came and parked in my driveway, unloaded their tools on the lawn and started cutting tile.  When I said something to her she couldn’t understand what my problem was.  She is a good hearted person but sometimes just not aware. 

@Scooty

Sounds to me there are other things about your neighbor that bother you. You should just tell her the watering is a problem for you. Regarding the contractors in your driveway, they should have known better but all you had to do was go out there and tell them to park elsewhere.

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooty, perhaps a gift like this would be helpful if you think she would use it  to water the hanging baskets.

Orbit Max Wand
The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Frequent Contributor

I am not sure why you responded to me directly.  I said nothing about having respect for anyone and I said my response was IMHO.   Your response on the other hand is beyond rude and disrespectful to me.   

Honored Contributor

"I know it’s only water but if my car were in the driveway, she’d be getting that wet."

blink.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kroppie wrote:

I am not sure why you responded to me directly.  I said nothing about having respect for anyone and I said my response was IMHO.   Your response on the other hand is beyond rude and disrespectful to me.   

@Kroppie  I apologize if you felt disrespected. You had said it’s only rain or water, let it go. I was clarifying that OP stated it was affecting her porch and flowers...her property.  It seemed difficult for her to let it go or she would not have started this thread, right? No hard feelings, I hope.

Super Contributor

My first thought is that she is really overwatering those baskets. I do not think any flower baskets should be watered every day, but I live in Wisconsin. In places where it is scorching hot all the time is it necessary to water every day?

I would mention it to her and I would truly be worried about myself or someone else slipping on the wet porch, as someone else mentioned. Also, the constant water on the concrete or wood of your porch, whichever it is, will discolor (concrete) or rot (wood) eventually. 

Living in close quarters with others is so difficult. 40 years ago I was a young, single teacher living in an apartment building. I subscribed to the daily newspaper and often my paper was missing from in front of my door where it was delivered. One day I saw a neighbor grab it and go into his apartment across the hall. Bravely, I marched up to his door, knocked, and he came to the door holding the paper!! I told him that was my paper and I did not appreciate him taking it like that. He apologized and handed it back to me!! I will never forget that and I am not sure if that would be wise to do today, or if I would be as brave today.