Regular Contributor

Should I say something or let it go?

I live in a townhouse community.  We have porches and my neighbor who is my friend has hanging baskets on the column on the porch which is next to my driveway.  Every morning before she leaves for work, she takes her garden hose and waters the hanging plants.  Every time the water is on my driveway, on my porch, on my cement in front of my porch, on my flowers in a pot.  The water is now dripping down my driveway or puddling.  I just had the driveway seal coated last week and of course by now it’s ok to drive on, but there’s water everywhere.  This is really bothering me and I don’t want to hurt her feelings.  Should I say something or let it go?  Yesterday, since we face north, the water stayed on the driveway till the afternoon.

Honored Contributor

Re: Should I say something or let it go?

How about mentioning your wet porch and driveway and that you are afraid you might slip ... could she point her hose in another direction?

Respected Contributor

Since it can potentially damage your property and you are upset, it will hurt your friendship if you don’t say something. 

Can you offer to help her rehang the flowers? Maybe give some little gift of friendship, baked goods, fruit,

a plant.

Good Luck, often it is not what you say but how.

Respected Contributor

@Scooty  Excuse me for saying so, but it seems your neighbor is a little dense.  She should see that her hose water is getting into your territory.  I live in a condo, and I'm acutely aware of my impact on my neighbors, although I see increasingly that the newer people are not like me in that regard.

Since she is your friend, you should be able to calmly and nicely mention to her (hopefully during the offense) that her water is causing a problem for you, and let her see it for herself if she hasn't already.  If she really is your friend, she will be sorry and happy to fix the problem.  Living in close quarters these days can be a challenge.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

I live in a townhouse community.  We have porches and my neighbor who is my friend has hanging baskets on the column on the porch which is next to my driveway.  Every morning before she leaves for work, she takes her garden hose and waters the hanging plants.  Every time the water is on my driveway, on my porch, on my cement in front of my porch, on my flowers in a pot.  The water is now dripping down my driveway or puddling.  I just had the driveway seal coated last week and of course by now it’s ok to drive on, but there’s water everywhere.  This is really bothering me and I don’t want to hurt her feelings.  Should I say something or let it go?  Yesterday, since we face north, the water stayed on the driveway till the afternoon.

Since she is your friend, she may take your suggestion well, she may not even realize that the water is going everywhere. On the other hand you don't want there to be tension between you. I would probably just let it go. If she is just watering her plants, why can't she use a watering can?

Honored Contributor

Seriously?  You say she's a friend but you haven't discussed this with her?  Yes, speak with her.  This is no small thing, I doubt that something like this would hurt her feelings.  Why would it?  She might find it odd that you didn't mention it sooner but I'm sure the two of you can work it out.

Honored Contributor

@Scooty@I don’t think the water will hurt your driveway but if you are unhappy about it then just mention your concern...maybe offer to water the plants for her if you are able.I think she might appreciate that so she can get off to work without the fast stop to water.

Honored Contributor

@IMW wrote:

Since it can potentially damage your property and you are upset, it will hurt your friendship if you don’t say something. 

Can you offer to help her rehang the flowers? Maybe give some little gift of friendship, baked goods, fruit,

a plant.

Good Luck, often it is not what you say but how.

Bingo !   It's not the what,  it's the how.  I wouldn't give her any type of gift because that's not necessary.  Discussing a solution that works for both of them and I like the idea of helping her if she decides to rehang her flower pots.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I can understand the annoyance, it is, after all, water and it does dry. Were it landing anywhere that might actually cause real damage I might be tempted to point out the concern, otherwise, I'd probably let it go until the opportunity to gently say something, perhaps using humor, presents itself. It's a townhouse, so neighborrs more closely impact other neighbors and she's a friend, so you have to consider whether or not she's a good enough friend that she'll take your complaint in stride... Depending on your climate, those hanging baskets won't be there forever and maybe the off-season would be a good time to mention something to her... If she's otherwise a good neighbor, that's something to consider too...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Good grief.....how many hanging baskets does she have and how much water is she putting on them that HOURS later you still have water everywhere????

I certainly wouldn’t worry about the driveway as rain gets a driveway wet, but I’d say something to her on the other. “Hey Betsy.....the water from your watering is getting on my porch and flowers. Can you water a different way please?”

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?