Valued Contributor

Re: Should I not go to the Dominican Republic in October?

@JBKO wrote:

We haven't paid for anything yet. GOod thing we waited because we were originally going to buy our airfare last month. You're right, it's not a vacation if you are worrying all the time (and I'm a worrywort)

Since you haven't paid for anything yet, I would change my plans to a different destination. Too many unexplained deaths.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My neighbors recently returned from a two-week stay in St. Croix.  They had a wonderful time!

About five years ago they visited the Dominican Republic.  Enjoyed themselves well enough, but I sensed that they prefer St. Croix to the D.R.

As for pursuing your original plans, my advice is to can them.  How could anyone possibly enjoy that destination now?  I certainly could not.  As I've written before somewhere, I no longer wish to visit the Caribbean, having gone three times and become ill three times (all back in the 1970s).  My memories are of illness.

Honored Contributor

Sorry if this has already been posted because I didn't read through this entire thread, but another large group of people (high school students) has become extremely ill while being there.

Esteemed Contributor

No! Not Dominican Republic.  People are dying! And not off the beaten path on the islands, people disappear.

As stated October is hurricane season and you DO NOT want to be there.

Maybe the mountains in the USA to see Autumn leaves!

Esteemed Contributor

Hurricanes!

Occasional Contributor

Absolutely not.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No I wouldn't plan any vacation there....at least until they have found out the truth of what has been happening there.  And even then I would want to wait yrs to see how things go.

Plus October is a bad month for the weather in these tropical places...so that's a easy no.

Also under no circumstances would I go to places like this and go "off the beaten path!" there is a serious reason why you don't do that in these places....not only the DR but many other places....Mexico comes to mind....you stay at the resort only.  

I am sure you can find many other places to go where you can actually drink the water....have a alcoholic beverage....swim in the pool....and not get deathly ill.  

Esteemed Contributor

No way would I step foot in the D R!! I don’t care If I lost money.It’s not worth it,period.

Several of my son’s  friends  booked a trip to the D R ,for August,6 months ago. Their parents are flipping out begging them not to go.So far they haven’t cancelled.My son is trying hard to convince them to go somewhere else!!

Super Contributor

Do you really need to ask this? 

Respected Contributor

This is a decision only you should make!  I know what I'd do if it were me and I wouldn't be asking an anonymous person on a message board.