Honored Contributor

Re: Should I not go to the Dominican Republic in October?

It would never occur to me to go there. I still know doctors who participate in Doctors Without Borders and Red Cross still has a presence there. It’s an unstable place and higher risk of being a victim of violence. Save some more money and go somewhere else. It’s cheap for a reason. 

Honored Contributor

It's not only people dying, there are also people becoming extremely ill.  More and more stories about that continue to come out.  Some seem a little suspect though.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@fayeth1 wrote:

My niece just returned after spending a week at a nice resort there and had no problems. She went with her boyfriend’s family. All were safe.

That just doesn't sound like a resounding endorsement, the fact that someone came back from the DR in one piece

Exactly.

Clearly the vast majority of people who go do return safely.  But that's not really the point.  There have been an alarming number of deaths.

(I have a friend in the hotel business who travels all over the world.  She's one of the most fearless people I know, but she's been telling me for awhile now that it's unsafe and she will not go back.  She's been warning people who didn't believe her for years, and now they're finally paying attention.)

Esteemed Contributor

I think if you have to ask strangers if you should go to DR, something is wrong with your comprehension of what is happening. I would know this is not a safe environment for a vacation. If you want to risk your life than go. 

Respected Contributor

Never ever would i go there! I wouldnt ask anyone what they thought. It would be one of the last places to go. So many dead and very ill!

I havent ever been out of the US and not going to ever though.

Esteemed Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

Never ever would i go there! I wouldnt ask anyone what they thought. It would be one of the last places to go. So many dead and very ill!

I havent ever been out of the US and not going to ever though.

That's sad. 

There are many beautiful places in this world to see.

I have been to Ireland, and it is one gorgeous country!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

In all fairness, the vast majority of tourists are not dying or getting sick.  They said on the news there have been fewer deaths this year than a couple of years ago. I don't know what to make of all this news coverage.  Perhaps it's skewing our perception of the facts a bit, like news often does.  Remember all the Zika coverage a couple years ago?  Everyone was freaking out.  Now nobody talks about  it.  There is still Zika.  It is kind of bugging me how so many people act like they can't understand why anyone would ever go to the DR regardless of the current situation. It's a major tourist destination and people from all over the world flock to it for the beautiful beaches.  Bavaro beach is known as one the best in the world.  Plenty of cities and countries have crime and poverty and it does not alter the tourism necessarily.  Plenty of dangerous cities in the US with neighborhoods you can get easily murdered in.  Yes we have better police and hospitals than the islands that is true. But still.  Don't act like you don't understand why people want to travel outside the US and see/do fun and amazing things.  There is a risk with any trip of crime and/or health problems. The US is a great country with lots to see and do but it is not in the Carribean which is a wonderful and beautiful place to visit.  I personally will not go back to the DR until some conclusion is reached as to whether there is a trend here related to some toxin/poison/whatever or it's all just random stuff that's being associate together incorrectly.

Honored Contributor

If I went to a resort and saw armed guards...

Running Baby GIF - Running Baby Oops GIFs

Back on that plane so fast. I'm not some warzone reporter or mercenary.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I think you said you've decided to go to Florida instead of the DR.  I applaud your decision!