Honored Contributor

Re: Should I not go to the Dominican Republic in October?

Me personally?  In October?  I'd be in New England around Columbus Day seeing the leaves, smelling the fire places and roaming all around the back roads stopping at fruit stands and soaking in the glorious glowing foliage!  Going to see the ocean and enjoying lobster and clams! 

But that's just me!  Cider and apple pie and crisp weather (one would hope!) and MAPLE SYRUP!

Regular Contributor

I think you should cancel. It’s not worth the worry. Vacation is for fun & relaxation.

Too many strange things are going on there.

Trusted Contributor

Miami will probably be our alterntive. I've never been to Florida.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

@JBKO   

Based on the plans you had hoped for.  Absolutely not.   DR and several other countries are not places where you can safely go "off the beaten path alone"  Many people get in dangerous situations doing this even with experienced guides.

I am sure if you google adventure destinations you and your sister can find other locations.

Frequent Contributor

My husband and I have vacationed in the Dominican for the past 2 summers.  Unfortunately we are not going again this year.  But, I would leave today to go back and feel completely safe.  If you have planned a vacation with a reputable company and guides, go enjoy yourself.  Millions of Americans travel to the Dominican each year.  9 have died in recent months.  More people died here stateside yesterday.  Don't let all of the hype frighten you.  You may never get another chance.  I'm sorry people have died, but we don't know what caused their deaths and until we do, I'm not jumping to conclusions.  

Respected Contributor

@Patz822 wrote:

I think you should cancel. It’s not worth the worry. Vacation is for fun & relaxation.

Too many strange things are going on there.

You couldn't pay me any amt. of money to go there.

Honored Contributor

@luvbnagirl wrote:

My husband and I have vacationed in the Dominican for the past 2 summers.  Unfortunately we are not going again this year.  But, I would leave today to go back and feel completely safe.  If you have planned a vacation with a reputable company and guides, go enjoy yourself.  Millions of Americans travel to the Dominican each year.  9 have died in recent months.  More people died here stateside yesterday.  Don't let all of the hype frighten you.  You may never get another chance.  I'm sorry people have died, but we don't know what caused their deaths and until we do, I'm not jumping to conclusions.  

Of course many people die here every day.

Until they find out why these people are dying - and it could be anything - it's probably not a good idea to travel there.  It could be poisoning, it could be environmental, it could be anything...

Honored Contributor

I think that you probably knew the answer to your question. :-)

I'm big on new places and exploring, with a big caveat: You have to know about the area. For example, we're going on safari with our family in August to Tanzania.

It's a beautiful country, but we are not "exploring" on our own. We have booked a safari tour in which they they choose the level of accommodations we want and set us up with their guides. Everything is taken care of. But we will still be very much able to enjoy the country, with visits to meet the people in chosen villages.

It sounds as if you favor an island experience, and there is no dearth of relatively safe ones.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I would not go.  No way, no how.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I would be way too nervous and scared.I would not go, maybe think about Southern California, or even Arizone, although no beach butit would still be warm in October. It is hurricane season for Florida, and the Caribbean at that time of year for any of their locations!

Better to be cautious and safe!