Trusted Contributor

Should I not go to the Dominican Republic in October?

Hi everyone. Hope you are doing well. I haven't had a proper vacation since the week before September 11th. I went to Europe on a school trip in 2003, studied abroad in France in 2007, and went to Connecticut for a weekend last October. As you can imagine, I've been longing for a restful vacation ( I think I deserve it) and decided to go to the Dominican Republic in October with my sister and her boyfriend.

We were planning to go off the beaten track and explore parts of the country that most tourists don't encounter. I was so excited for our excursions (prehistoric caves with petroglyphs and even a blue pectolite mine) but now it looks like it's not going to happen. My sister is really worried with what's going on. Can you blame her? What would you do if you were in our shoes?

TIA

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: Should I not go to the Dominican Republic in October?

Choose another place.  Wouldn't go to the Caribbean in the fall anyway--hurricane season.  Actually, I can't think of too many "beach" places to go that time of year except Hawaii which is a long trip.  I personally love Palm Springs but of course no beach.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Trusted Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

Hi everyone. Hope you are doing well. I haven't had a proper vacation since the week before September 11th. I went to Europe on a school trip in 2003, studied abroad in France in 2007, and went to Connecticut for a weekend last October. As you can imagine, I've been longing for a restful vacation ( I think I deserve it) and decided to go to the Dominican Republic in October with my sister and her boyfriend.

We were planning to go off the beaten track and explore parts of the country that most tourists don't encounter. I was so excited for our excursions (prehistoric caves with petroglyphs and even a blue pectolite mine) but now it looks like it's not going to happen. My sister is really worried with what's going on. Can you blame her? What would you do if you were in our shoes?

TIA

I would try to cancel the trip and find another destination.  There is something going on for sure.

Valued Contributor

Can you get your $ bacK?  I would be worried too and I personally would not go.

Honored Contributor

There are many other places to travel to that time of the year.

Personally, I wouldn't go there for many reasons.

Respected Contributor

No never!

Respected Contributor

If you have to worry about it’s not a vacation. I’d cancel, of course it is a personal preference.

Trusted Contributor

We haven't paid for anything yet. GOod thing we waited because we were originally going to buy our airfare last month. You're right, it's not a vacation if you are worrying all the time (and I'm a worrywort)

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

It's a BIG world. Why go where mysterious" tourist" deaths are occuring? I'd pass.

Honored Contributor

I would be happy staying stateside. There are so many unexplored places right in your own 'backyard'.Smiley Happy