Honored Contributor

Re: Should I go on a cruise solo?

@MacDUFF wrote:

Have fun and send us a post card!

If Phoebe be from Phoenix, maybe the fee be nix

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I am alone and seem to enjoy many adventures by myself.  It is not as if you will be alone on the ship.  And having a cabin by yourself is a plus.  So, have fun and enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@Twoaces I did the Viking cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow several years ago. What a wonderful trip that was! All the stops along the way were small towns or villages that seemed to be right out of the 1950's. It was such a neat experience for me. 

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I think if you are an outgoing, social type who finds it easy to strike up a conversation with strangers; you should definitely go alone.  But if that isn't the type of person you are, if you tend to be more reserved; you might want to re-think that cruise. 

I agree.  My mom & dad went on 21 cruises together before he passed away.  My mom then went on two cruises solo.  She knew her fellow travelers because they were all members of a travel club.  Did not work for her.  She is exceptionally outgoing and social, but says she felt like a fifth wheel since everyone else was in couples.  She might have enjoyed it more if she had gone on "singles" cruises rather than trying to fit in on more standard cruises.  She has continued limited traveling with her widowed girlfriends, but her big overseas cruising days ended with my dad's passing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CJC wrote:

@tansy wrote:

It sounds like you are self-sufficient and ready to go.  

I have have known single women who will not eat in a restaurant or go to a movie on their own.  

Ha ha....I'm one of those women!  Actually I'm just fine going to a movie alone -- but I will not eat alone in a restaurant, unless it's fast food.  Hubby is still very much alive thankfully!

I have been to afternoon movies alone, and due to traveling on business on occasion, I've eaten even at some fairly nice restaurants alone.

I don't think I'd enjoy cruising alone, but that's just me.  I have gone in early to meetings and spent a day and night by myself before I joined a big group.   I very much enjoy that. But, I'm not one who has to be with someone at all times.  I like my alone time.  DH is an introvert, and I'm in the middle.  I'm definitely not a true extrovert.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I think you should go.  I don't sit home if I have no one to go some place with.  I've been on many business trips and have taken a couple short vacations alone.  Go and have a great time.

Trusted Contributor

I say go for it!  You said you're not afraid to travel by yourself so that's half the battle right there.  You can enjoy your own company and at the same time have an opportunity to meet some new friends.  ENJOY!!

Esteemed Contributor

I would say NO. Cruising alone could be very lonely - as everyone has someone with them. Years ago I went to a Club Med Village in Mexico alone --- and was lucky to meet a female close to my age from NY (where I grew up). Otherwise, I would have had a miserable time. I also went on a Carnival Cruise for one week with a female friend --- if she wasn't there --- I would have been totally alone. 

Try putting an ad on Craigslist (I've used CL for many years and it's been fantastic). Look for a female living close by so u could meet beforehand.

Honored Contributor

Not sure how the cruise line you are thinking of using,  handles seating for dinner. On the Disney cruise, the dinner meal is often a table for 8 or so and you sit with the same people (if you want ) through the entire cruise. We had so much fun together.. Not sure how they pick the people that you eat with but everytime we have had such an enjoyable time with our new friends.  In fact many times we were so busy talking we would go out together after diner together.

Valued Contributor

You will never know the answer to that question unless you go.    If don't go, you will always wonder what it might have been.   

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela