Trusted Contributor

Should I file a police report for package USPS Delivery Supervisor says "probably stolen?"

[ Edited ]

Earlier this week, I placed an order for a couple of items from Kohl's. One was delivered quickly, via UPS. The 2nd item was sent FedEx Smartpost & was supposedly left at my front door this past Friday.

As soon as I received e-mail notification from Kohl's  that the order had been delivered, I went to my front door to retrieve the package. When I stepped outside, there was no package to be found. 

I contacted Kohl's immediately. They gave me a tracking number & told me to follow up with the post office & check with my neighbors. I called USPS, was given a different number to call & told to ask for the Delivery Supervisor. I called the DS, gave him the tracking number that Kohl's had given me.

I called, & he told me that the package had been delivered & then gave me the date/time. I advised him that the package may have been delivered but it wasn't to my house since I wasn't in possession of it. He too told me to check with my neighbors. (in this neighborhood, unless the occupant is expecting a package or a visitor, front doors aren't answered. I do the same thing.)

My son & I have had packages misdelivered 2-3 times by both UPS & USPS. They researched, admitted oops, we did deliver to the wrong address (5868 vs my 5668) then told us to go retrieve the package from that address. When we did that, even though someone was home (we saw them peek out their curtains) the front door wasn't open so we could ask about our package.

Should I be filing a police report for the "stolen" package?

Valued Contributor

Re: USPS delivery supervisor says my package "probably stolen"

I have had a horrible time with UPS,, have asked QVC  whenever possible to send  my packages by the  Post Office.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Miranda1550 wrote:

I have had a horrible time with UPS,, have asked QVC  whenever possible to send  my packages by the  Post Office.  

This was via FedEx Smartpost. The delivery starts out with FedEx, then gets handed off to USPS. The UPS delivered order I had a few days after I placed the order. My mail carrier lost or delivered the package to the wrong house.

Respected Contributor

So your package is at someone else's house?

Kohl's should be sending you out a replacement ASAP.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should I file a police report for package USPS Delivery Supervisor says "probably stolen?&q

If they delivered it to the wrong address I think it's their responsibility to retrieve it or reimburse, or file the police report.  

I would be livid at the USPS to give you that responsibility.

When I receive something that isn't mine (rare)  I get it to the right person.  If it's a neighbor I drop it off, or get it back to the carrier so they can try again.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should I file a police report for package USPS Delivery Supervisor says "probably stolen?&q

Twice in the last year I have received a UPS package intended for a neighbor about two blocks up the street, which I then delivered to them, and whom I don't know. Another package came for someone a mile away, which I also delivered. 

Some people may consider a wrong delivery to their door a "gift," and may not own up to having received it if you inquired. I am with the posters who think Kohl's should send you another one and pronto. You shouldn't have to cover the neighborhood searching for it. They would lose my business if this happened to me and they didn't make it right.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Super Contributor

If a carrier or business tells me that I must go knock on all my neighbors doors (to see if they received my package),  I refuse.  It is their responsibility to deliver the item to me, and it they mess up, then it is their responsibility to find it!   Why should we have to go on a search when it is their mistake? 

It's really ballsy for them to assume that every one gets along well with their neighbors.   Even if you are on good terms with a neighbor, you might not be if you ask them if they have a package that belongs to you!   It also assumes that they will be honest about receiving it.   And if they, or their kids,already opened it...  awkward!   

Also, some people are housebound and physically can't go on a package hunt. 

If a business insisted that I must confront neighbors (including ones who can be hostile), then that is the last time I would do business with them. And I'd also let them know that if THEY don't see that my package is delivered (or issue a refund), then I would be filing a chargeback on my credit card for unreceived merchandise.  It's THEIR job to get it to me after they have taken my money...  

Esteemed Contributor

I usually have problems with FedEx - they say things are delivered when they aren't. And, the time they say they delivered, I'm home! UPS delivered a package to the same house # as mine - wrong street. QVC replaced it immediately as it was steaks. It really should be USPS getting that package back - it was their error - not your responsibility - although you would think the people would have dropped it off or given it back to USPS. 

Trusted Contributor

@Beachy1 wrote:

So your package is at someone else's house?

Kohl's should be sending you out a replacement ASAP.

I agree but unfortunately Kohl's doesn't do that. They'll do an investigation, which I understand takes about 3 weeks. If I still want the item (which I do) I have to place another order.

My USPS carrier must be new, my prior carrier used to leave any packages that I received in my fenced in back yard.(6 foot high privacy fence) I've been here nearly 13 years & in all that time, between my son & I we've had maybe 3 packages that we didn't receive because they were misdelivered. In all 3 instances, the retailer sent a replacement for the "missing" items when we contacted them to let them know that we didn't get the delivery.

Super Contributor

No no no