Respected Contributor

Re: Should I change jobs? Change is hard.

I commuted 30 miles to work to Washington DC (whose traffic has been considered worse than LA and NY) where anywhere else might take 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. However, throw in direct overhead sun, rain or snow and it could take hours. We were once at work and it began snowing 3 inches an hour and it took 7 hours to get home. If I'm on the road for 7 hours, I want to at least be halfway to Florida or end up on a beach somewhere!

Benefits - you will never know how much good health insurance is worth until you REALLY need it for something catastrophic. Hopefully you will never have the need to find this out - four years ago was diagnosed with cancer. Not until then did I really understand the different kinds of health insurance and levels of coverage. I watched as others were unable to receive specific drugs I was given which was not available to them unless they were willing to pay the whole cost out of pocket. I had a friend whose husband had the same type of insurance I had AND was retired military reserve and with the addition of Tricare for Life he was able to receive combos of drugs that helped considerably (but would have been extremely cost prohibitive for me because my plan alone wouldn't cover them). Insurance is something you don't mess around with if you are lucky enough to have it and have a good plan. You have no idea how much a short or no commute with good benefits is worth until you no longer have it.

Honored Contributor

Ten miles each way isn't very bad, unless you live in a snowbound area. Many folks I've heard of have at least one hour commutes one way. Lots of good luck to you. If you decide to change jobs, I'd give your present job plenty of notice. And keep in good touch with them throughout the months, years.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't based on the fact you love your job and the commute is short. I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable.

Frequent Contributor

On 1/17/2015 AuntG said:

I wouldn't based on the fact you love your job and the commute is short. I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable.

I'm leaning towards just staying where I am...I truly love what I do.

Honored Contributor

Don't change jobs until you consider all the pros and cons. A good benefit package is essential and you may not have this with a new job. Perhaps the pay in a new job would be more but the benefit package may be less. A short commute is certainly a plus and the fact you love your job and co-workers is a great reason to stay where you are. Don't make a hasty decision you may regret later.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

I think you know the answer........Stay where you are!

Frequent Contributor

On 1/29/2015 Firefly3 said:

I think you know the answer........Stay where you are!

Update...thanks for the answers. I decided to stay where I am. I was finding more reasons not to take the jobs than reasons to take it. I made the right decision for me at this time.

Frequent Contributor

Count your blessings and stay where you are. Sounds like you have a nice landlord, nice job with no commuting. You probably have a lot more than some people. Money isn't everything. Best of luck to you.

Honored Contributor

Finally, someone updates. Glad you didn't make a rushed decision, with regrets.