Valued Contributor

Re: Should I Sign for this Certified Letter?

I try and trust my instincts and when I read your post my first one was a strong and definite no. Too many scams out there. They have your signature, next thing you know they can put it on anything they want. Never sign something without knowing what it is or unless you are expecting it. If it was legitimate, you would have received word to be on the lookout for it. Just my opinion. 

Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3  I'm with the people that say sign for it.  You're not on the hook for anything, you will have an answer to the whole mystery including who sent it.  There is nothing to be afraid of by signing it.  No one is "getting your signature"  The post office delivers it.  It could be something time sensitive and by delaying your response might be a problem.  Asking around isn't gaining you any information.  The only answer is to just sign for it.  Opening a letter does not obligate you to anything.  But information and answers arms you for what might be a problem coming your way.  

Respected Contributor

My favorite poster in the 60s was "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you." 

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3  ... you should definitely sign for it.   

Respected Contributor

@KittySoftPaws wrote:

I try and trust my instincts and when I read your post my first one was a strong and definite no. Too many scams out there. They have your signature, next thing you know they can put it on anything they want. Never sign something without knowing what it is or unless you are expecting it. If it was legitimate, you would have received word to be on the lookout for it. Just my opinion. 

Not true.  Law firms send out certified letters all the time.  Do you think they would warn the recipient that a demand letter was on the way?  

Honored Contributor

Signing the letter is proof only that you have been notified. Once you know what's in the letter, you'll know how to proceed. Will you need an attorney, give consent or abject to whatever is proposed? If later you find you should have taken some sort of action, claiming you didn't know when there is proof that there was  an attempt to notify you that you rejected will not help you.

Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@KittySoftPaws wrote:

Not true.  Law firms send out certified letters all the time.  Do you think they would warn the recipient that a demand letter was on the way?  

Our law firm on eviction cases would send out a certified letter and regular mail letter on the same day.  If they did not leave the premises we waited until the post office sent back the "three times attempted service" notification and took that to court to get the eviction.  On one of our eviction cases it was a mother evicting her son.  He did not sign for the certified letter but the day after he received the regular letter he burned down the home.  Made the front page of the paper the next morning.  His next place of residence was the county jail.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

It is what it it. Sign it and open it. Good grief.

Honored Contributor

I watched one of our Township meetings. There were quite a few angry residents claiming they were never notified that a billboard was going to be installed. They said that the light from the billboard affected them.

When the advertising company applied for the permit to erect the billboard, the Township made them notify all the residents within a certain area. The Township did not give the Advertising Company the permit, until I think it was 6 months, after the notices were sent out. There were no complaints from residents. after the notices sent out.

So the Township granted the permit. As soon as the billboard went up the complaints started. Every person at the Township meeting claimed that they were never notified. 

Super Contributor

Picky, wait till tomorrow and speak to that person at the surveying company---then you will know how to proceed.

Every state has different rules for surveying companies and how they approach property owners.  Wish you well!!