Honored Contributor

Re: Should I Sign for this Certified Letter?

A neighbor could be having  survey done and your property may be adjacent.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I live in a townhouse community, so if it's an abutment issue all of us should get the letter. Since I have to sign for it, I can ask my mailman if everybody is getting the letter. If that's the case, I'll sign for it.

If it's just me, I'll wait to learn more from the surveying company. It's possible they only have client names in their computer, not people needing to be notified.

Thanks for the quick responses. They helped me think this through.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

On my Informed Delivery this morning I saw I will receive a certified letter from a local surveying company today. There is no reason why my house should be surveyed.

I called the surveying company, my municipality, my county and my homeowners insurance, and no one knows anything about my property being surveyed. The person I must speak to at the surveying company is out until tomorrow, but neither my name nor address is in their computer.

I'm thinking i would be better protected by not accepting the letter.

What would you do?

@PickyPicky3 

Sorry, but I don't see how you think you are "protected" --- in ANY way --- by not signing for the letter.   

You've already made several phone calls and obviously none of us is psychic. 

Exactly what are you afraid of?  

It could be a notification for a meeting date to inform you of a proposal or some sort of construction that might somehow affect you.

Ignorance is NOT bliss.   

Besides, this isn't like getting a certified letter from the iRS .... just sign for it and please READ it.   

Esteemed Contributor

Did you ever hear the saying " don't make something out of nothing". You sound paranoid. Why would you involve the mailman? Just sign for it and read it. You have not legally obligated to yourself for anything. It just shows you received it. Are you a criminal??

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3.  If it's a townhouse, your HOA manager should know about any surveys.  Call and ask him or her.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

On my Informed Delivery this morning I saw I will receive a certified letter from a local surveying company today. There is no reason why my house should be surveyed.

I called the surveying company, my municipality, my county and my homeowners insurance, and no one knows anything about my property being surveyed. The person I must speak to at the surveying company is out until tomorrow, but neither my name nor address is in their computer.

I'm thinking i would be better protected by not accepting the letter.

What would you do?

If you are this concerned, wait until tomorrow and speak with this person at the survey office.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As others have stated, this is my guess. A  neighbor is getting a new fence or swimming pool installed. The company doing the work has to make sure everything is up to township's code before doing the work.

Just because the fence was put up previously doesn't mean that it was up to code or correctly installed. If there is a problem the company might have to check with your survey information to make sure it agrees.

Too often fence companies just install a fence where the old fence was. And it is incorrect. Or in our case our neighbor's pool was not installed following the Township codes.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I've lived here for 8 years and never once has an abutment or construction notice letter required a signature. 

I hear all those ads about someone stealing your house and ignore them, but something is driving that level of insurance advertising.

I can wait 24 hours to get more info from the surveying company. Although you would think someone could answer my question today. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   I called him this morning, but he's been on vacation and hasn't heard anything.

Respected Contributor

When my neighbors built a fence, they requested a property survey so that their fence would not be put up on my property accidentally.

I would sign for the letter--there is no reason not to!