Respected Contributor

Should I Sign for this Certified Letter?

[ Edited ]

On my Informed Delivery this morning I saw I will receive a certified letter from a local surveying company today. There is no reason why my house should be surveyed.

I called the surveying company, my municipality, my county and my homeowners insurance, and no one knows anything about my property being surveyed. The person I must speak to at the surveying company is out until tomorrow, but neither my name nor address is in their computer.

I'm thinking I would be better protected by not accepting the letter.

What would you do?

Respected Contributor

Re: Should I Sign for this Certified Letter?

I would sign for it and read it. That way you will know what is happening. Not signing for it won't stop whatever is going on if something is going on.

Honored Contributor

Since you checked everything out and no one knows anything about it, I would not sign for it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3   The first thing I thought of was maybe one of your neighbors may have had a survey done and something may affect your property.  I could be wrong but I don't think any scammer would go to the expense of sending a certified letter.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

I would sign for it and read it. That way you will know what is happening. Not signing for it won't stop whatever is going on if something is going on.

@PickyPicky3 

I agree with @Ainhisg.  Signing for the letter isn't obligating you legally to anything - other than receiving the letter.  You need to know more about this, and you've struck out so far with your phone calls.  Read it, and you'll have more information to decide what's going on and what you might need to do about it.  Refuse the letter and you're in the dark about what might happen going forward.  Knowledge is power.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Check with your neighbors, you never know it could be an error with an

address or something else. It is better to know.

Valued Contributor

I would sign for the letter.  It will let you know what is going on.  Often when someone is proposing a change to their property abutters need to be notified.  It may be as simple as this.  

Honored Contributor

Ignorance is not bliss.  It's already causing you angst.  I'd want to read it so any appropriate action could be taken or I could just relax, depending on what it says.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Sign for it and see what the problem is.  Like the other poster said, ignoring it will not make it go away.  It can make it worse.  If something is up and you reject the letter, they could resort to other methods -- private process service of a legal petition and you don't want that.  See what's going on and solve the problem.

Valued Contributor

Sometimes survey markers are on your property.  A survey company needs to notify you if they need to access your property for their survey of another property.  

Uncle Herb's big party