Respected Contributor

Re: Should Baby Boy Dolls Be Sold Anatomically Correct?

The more real we can be about body parts, the healthier and better able to cope with per-adolescent bodily changes through into adult years. Knowledge is power, ignorance leads to bad decisions.

Valued Contributor

On 8/4/2014 Moonlady said:

Should they be? That sounds pretty onerous. If manufacturers want to make them in a way that they consider to be "anatomically correct," fine. If not, fine.

Memo: Six wasn't invented in this century, folks. People have figured out what's going on since time immemorial, before toys, and when kids only had [gasp!] cloth dolls{#emotions_dlg.scared} (even before Raggedy Ann and Andy). :think:As a matter of fact, I remember having a doll who "spoke"--without even moving her lips:think:.

Gimmeabreak.

I agree. If they want to make dolls with all their equipment that is fine with me. If not, that's fine too. I only had a sister, no brothers, so I didn't learn about male anatomy until later, but I managed to catch on fast. Smiley Surprised)

Super Contributor

I don't think it's necessary to make the dolls anatomically correct, but whatever. I started babysitting at the age of 9 and changed many diapers.

Super Contributor

It's not like anyone wants all baby dolls to be anatomy lessons. This is just one doll, out of thousands that aren't "accurate", and some people call it an outrage.

If you don't like it, don't buy the doll. Ask all your relatives not to buy the doll for your kids.

Respected Contributor

My sons had Fisher Price boy doll with the extra added. Bought it in Germany. No big deal.

Honored Contributor

Just curious-

Would there be two versions of anatomically correct male dolls?

Honored Contributor

Well, if you want to buy a doll that's going to be an anatomy lesson then those probably should be anatomically correct, both female and male. Otherwise, dolls for play are just that. (I guess it's sort of like learning how to answer questions from children, knowing how much they really want to know at that moment.) Children seem pretty aware of the fact that their dolls aren't exactly the same in every respect, down to the last detail, as the people who play with them.

I see no reason there can't be a choice, though.Smile

eta: I wonder, would it follow that we also want stuffed animals to be anatomically correct?

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

The thought of an anatomically correct teddy requires a strong eye bleaching.

Esteemed Contributor

Respected Contributor

I'm fine with it. Most girls want a baby girl doll, but I think it's totally fine for a little girl to have a little boy doll that's anatomically correct. I mean, what would HE have?? Nothing?!?! That would be a real shocker the first time they saw it, thinking "that" wasn't supposed to look like that! Smiley Wink I had a little brother, and we bathed together til I was 5 or 6. NBD. And we called everything "privates" as a general term, and then by their anatomically correct terms, if referring to one on a specific gender. I grew up in an EXTREMELY modest household, but come on! It's bodies, people! Plus, I would much rather have my children learn from me at a younger age, than by someone else. I'm sorry, but that's a parents responsibility to teach things like this to children.