Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shots fired in our neighborhood

@SilleeMee wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't call 911 every time I hear gunshots. My neighborhood is not the m@ost desirable and I hear guns being fired often. It just happens. One time I found a bullit hole in the siding of my house. Good thing I 'm upstairs most of the time.

@SilleeMee - I disagree with you - if you see or hear something - say something - that's the only way these people are going to get caught - call the POLICE.  One day you and your family members may not be so lucky.  They stress here in Indiana, this is the only way they can get a handle on crime - say something please!

@hoosieroriginal,

That's easier said than done. Around here the police don't come around unless someone has been shot or killed, a perp is being held or criminal activity is plainly observed as being commited by an identifiable person or persons. Otherwise they simply make note of it and we're lucky if a police officer comes over to your house.

Unfortunally, what you said is true. 

Same for where I live. Unless someone is bleeding, the cops don't come out, and that's a fact.

They don't send an officer to interview you as to what you heard, when you heard it, and where you heard it.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@LilacTree,

I am sorry this incident has created concern for you, and hope you find out the source of the noise to ease your mind.

I live very rural, and hearing gunshots, day or night, is pretty normal here, and raises no major concern.   I only have one neighbor who probably does not own a gun, and she is the person who calls 911 everytime she hears a gunshot.   After 20 years of living here, she has finally learned to look out her doors and windows and see if she sees anything before picking up the phone.

Shots fired out here usually mean someone is shooting at a target, or a wild critter, and the number of shots fired will tell you which one.   This area has many fox hunters as well as coon hunters, and they have big hunts on the mountains around us.   At least twice a year we find a tired and hungry coonhound in our yard that got lost in the hunt.  We tie him up in the front yard, give him a blanket to lie on, food and water, and wait for his owner to drive by and see him; one dog has been here 3x, and this is the first place his owner comes to look for him.   

Thankfully our town raised neighbor has learned the difference between the sound of pistol fire, rifle fire, shotgun fire, and high powered rifle fire, which has reduced her anxiety.   I think the State Trooper gave her a little lesson on country living the last time he responded to one of her paranoid daytime phone calls.    

@RedTop

Actually for me it was the first time I had ever heard gun shots.  My daughter had because, as I said, her ex was a gun owner.  She identified them, I just went into the hallway where she already was and asked "did you hear that?" and she said they were gun shots, probably from a rifle.

I am assuming someone was trying to get a deer or another wild animal and it took that many shots to get it done.  I don't think it's legal around here, so I hope the individual was identified.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

When I lived in LA, gunshots were not common in my neighborhood, but I would hear them at New Years, and 4th of July mixed in with fireworks.

My neighborhood, while not upscale, was also as safe as most in a large urban area. I felt okay walking to restaurants a block away at night. Not a bars-on-the-windows area.

Then about a year before I moved there were shots fired in a park a few blocks away in broad daylight - gang-related, but it wasn't at all a gang neighborhood. A couple of weeks after that, I came home to police tape across they alley where we all go to park our cars in the garages. I had to park on the street that night. In mid day, a man was shot and killed two buildings down from mine. They never did find a motive, it was not related to the other incident. No further violence in the neighborhood after that. Stuff just randomly happens pretty much everywhere.

I now live in the country and I've already heard more gunshots than I heard in LA - go figure.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't know what gunshots sound like.  Like fireworks?

Depends on the type of gun but yes it can kind of sound like fireworks if you are not familar with guns. For a trained ear (like mine), you definitely know the difference between the two but the city folk who come up here and play country, they cannot distinguish the difference.

Contributor

@LilacTree, call the police station and ask if anything happened the night before in your area. They should be able to tell you. Take care🙂

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@LilacTree  Yes, i agree that no place can be considered safe these days.  I live in a suburb of Cleveland, and here there are mostly just the usual arrests, not much in the way of violence or gunfire.  In Cleveland, however, it's much different.  A day never goes by that there isn't something on the news about shootings there.  Slowly, but surely those criminals have been migrating away from the big city.  The suburbs have to be very vigilant about this so they can put a stop to it before it gets out of control.  Luckiy, my city of 50,000 has a great police and emergency force, and I believe they are doing a good job in that effort to protect us.  It's all very scary, especially to older people like us who tend to feel more vulnerable.

@2blonde

Shout out to another Ohioan! Love the Cleveland area!

@Mominohio  Hi there fellow Buckeye!  I hope I didn't give people here the impression that Cleveland is a totally scary place.  I think the downtown area has really transformed into a great place to live, work and play; and we have the best eateries you can find anywhere!  Most of the bad stuff happens in the outer neighborhoods.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Strangely, although it was pretty common to hear fireworks several times a year where I lived, I never mistook a gunshot for fireworks. To my ear, of course there are fewer pops than with fireworks, but even with 3-4 gunshots in succession, the interval between was a giveaway to me. It's a more distinct, louder and crisper pop. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't call 911 every time I hear gunshots. My neighborhood is not the m@ost desirable and I hear guns being fired often. It just happens. One time I found a bullit hole in the siding of my house. Good thing I 'm upstairs most of the time.

@SilleeMee - I disagree with you - if you see or hear something - say something - that's the only way these people are going to get caught - call the POLICE.  One day you and your family members may not be so lucky.  They stress here in Indiana, this is the only way they can get a handle on crime - say something please!

@hoosieroriginal,

That's easier said than done. Around here the police don't come around unless someone has been shot or killed, a perp is being held or criminal activity is plainly observed as being commited by an identifiable person or persons. Otherwise they simply make note of it and we're lucky if a police officer comes over to your house.

Yes, that's what people often say when they decide they just don't want to get involved.  They'd rather be part of the problem than part of the solution.

That's not true.  I understand this completely, as it is par for the course where I live.  A traffic accident will get cops to come out quicker than hearing gunshots.  Fact of life where I live.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

After every incident of shootings, the police always say "if you see or hear anything, no matter how insignificant it may seem, always call 911." 

Yes this is so true! The state police and sheriff that I work with regularly say the exact same thing, as did the US Marshalls that came out here recently to take someone away.

We live in the country and target practice and hunting is legal so we hear gunshots quite often but you know the difference between the target practice rhythm and random shots that are out of place. And if it is not hunting season, then we all call the non-emergency number and let them know and they come out every time. We would call 911 if we did not have the non-emergency number (many places do not) or if we actually know exactly where the shots were fired or saw it occurring (I've had to do this a few times).

I personally could never live with myself if I found out there had been a murder during a time I heard gunshots and I didn't do anything about it. As the police always tells us- it is better to be safe than sorry and they truly urge us to call if anything seems out of place.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@hoosieroriginal,

How do you know this 100%? When we make calls, they do not come by our house or call us unless they need further info but they DO come -it is on the crime reports website and I often see them driving by after calls were made. If they have the general location of where you hear shots, they will check out the area. They have caught poachers and some wanted criminals this way.