Trusted Contributor

Re: Shots fired in our neighborhood

I'm so sorry lilactree, that must have been extremely unnerving.  I'm happy to hear you are ok.

Maybe it was on the highway??

Hope you hear soon, so you can settle it in your head, that things are ok. Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't call 911 every time I hear gunshots. My neighborhood is not the m@ost desirable and I hear guns being fired often. It just happens. One time I found a bullit hole in the siding of my house. Good thing I 'm upstairs most of the time.

@SilleeMee - I disagree with you - if you see or hear something - say something - that's the only way these people are going to get caught - call the POLICE.  One day you and your family members may not be so lucky.  They stress here in Indiana, this is the only way they can get a handle on crime - say something please!

@hoosieroriginal,

That's easier said than done. Around here the police don't come around unless someone has been shot or killed, a perp is being held or criminal activity is plainly observed as being commited by an identifiable person or persons. Otherwise they simply make note of it and we're lucky if a police officer comes over to your house.

Honored Contributor

After every incident of shootings, the police always say "if you see or hear anything, no matter how insignificant it may seem, always call 911." 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't call 911 every time I hear gunshots. My neighborhood is not the m@ost desirable and I hear guns being fired often. It just happens. One time I found a bullit hole in the siding of my house. Good thing I 'm upstairs most of the time.

@SilleeMee - I disagree with you - if you see or hear something - say something - that's the only way these people are going to get caught - call the POLICE.  One day you and your family members may not be so lucky.  They stress here in Indiana, this is the only way they can get a handle on crime - say something please!

@hoosieroriginal,

That's easier said than done. Around here the police don't come around unless someone has been shot or killed, a perp is being held or criminal activity is plainly observed as being commited by an identifiable person or persons. Otherwise they simply make note of it and we're lucky if a police officer comes over to your house.

Yes, that's what people often say when they decide they just don't want to get involved.  They'd rather be part of the problem than part of the solution.

Honored Contributor

The city of Pittsburgh is reclaiming many old ghetto neighborhoods. They are doing a fabulous job - knocking down properties that are abandoned or are in such terrible shape that no one should ever be in them, and building new homes, sometimes whole neighborhoods where ghettos once stood and drugs were being sold on streetcorners. We have to drive through a few of these neighborhoods when we go into the city to the cemeteries and it is wonderful to see them coming back to life. Unfortunately, the people who live in these places are still the same so I asked my SIL - who is a city resident where they are moving and she said right in her neighborhood and the once very nice neighborhood where my family lived while I was in high school. Now those neighborhoods have them selling drugs on the corners etc. Once very nice places to live. My SIL is fixing her place up to put it on the market and looking to move to an apartment out in the suburbs, because she is afraid to stay where she is. She said she hears gunshots all the time day & night. Unfortunately, unless you can do something about the PEOPLE who make neighborhoods into ghettos - you can't do much about it - the gangsters just move the operation to a new neighborhood and blight it.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

at least you called 911. I hate watching these  shows about murders and such where neighbors said they had heard gunshots in the middle of the night and, when asked, they said they didn't call 911. Who in their right mind does NOT call 911 if they think they hear gunshots?

I guess it depends on where you live.

Gunshots are an every day occurrence here in the country, and can be heard day and night.

People on the farms nearby (or us on occasion) ridding themselves of pests (anything from raccoons and squirrels damaging their fruit crop or corn), hunting whatever is in season, or just target practice. 

Being raised in a small city, it was unnerving at first to hear shots ring out down here, but other than now being aware of how close and where they are coming from (so as not to be in the way of them) it is second nature. And most of our neighbors know what they are doing when shooting, so not usually a lot to worry about.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@LilacTree  Yes, i agree that no place can be considered safe these days.  I live in a suburb of Cleveland, and here there are mostly just the usual arrests, not much in the way of violence or gunfire.  In Cleveland, however, it's much different.  A day never goes by that there isn't something on the news about shootings there.  Slowly, but surely those criminals have been migrating away from the big city.  The suburbs have to be very vigilant about this so they can put a stop to it before it gets out of control.  Luckiy, my city of 50,000 has a great police and emergency force, and I believe they are doing a good job in that effort to protect us.  It's all very scary, especially to older people like us who tend to feel more vulnerable.

@2blonde

Shout out to another Ohioan! Love the Cleveland area!

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree,

I am sorry this incident has created concern for you, and hope you find out the source of the noise to ease your mind.

I live very rural, and hearing gunshots, day or night, is pretty normal here, and raises no major concern.   I only have one neighbor who probably does not own a gun, and she is the person who calls 911 everytime she hears a gunshot.   After 20 years of living here, she has finally learned to look out her doors and windows and see if she sees anything before picking up the phone.

Shots fired out here usually mean someone is shooting at a target, or a wild critter, and the number of shots fired will tell you which one.   This area has many fox hunters as well as coon hunters, and they have big hunts on the mountains around us.   At least twice a year we find a tired and hungry coonhound in our yard that got lost in the hunt.  We tie him up in the front yard, give him a blanket to lie on, food and water, and wait for his owner to drive by and see him; one dog has been here 3x, and this is the first place his owner comes to look for him.   

Thankfully our town raised neighbor has learned the difference between the sound of pistol fire, rifle fire, shotgun fire, and high powered rifle fire, which has reduced her anxiety.   I think the State Trooper gave her a little lesson on country living the last time he responded to one of her paranoid daytime phone calls.    

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@hoosieroriginal,

Yes, that's what people often say when they decide they just don't want to get involved.  They'd rather be part of the problem than part of the solution.

I'd like to know what the "solution" is.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11

Definitely not fireworks.  We hear them all the time, and it's a totally different sound.  We also thought maybe a car was backfiring on the highway, but this sound was too close and too loud.  My daughter, whose ex had several guns, told me it sounded more like a rifle than a handheld gun.

I checked the local news again and there is nothing.  So I guess we'll never know. 

I bet it was fireworks. I am a lot like yourself...I worry.

Off topic...I did one of those DNA tests and got back the results where I downloaded them to Promethease and the results were astonishing. Did you know there is a gene for worrying?

@Trinity11

No!!  I did not know that . . . then I definitely have that gene!  What is Promethease?  I've never heard of that.  Guess I'll google it.

Promethease is a website where you can download the results you receive from different websites where you can have your DNA tested to see what your heritage is. I received mine, downloaded it from Ancestory.com and paid the $5 fee to Promethease and received detailed information about what genes I have for certain diseases. It was pretty surprising how right they were about some of them. 

@Trinity11

I've never had the 23 and me tests done.  But my daughter has (several years ago when her first symptoms appeared).  I remember looking at it and I guess I do not have the kind of mind that would be able to interpret it.  But I will tell her about the Promethease because I've never heard her mention it. 

I did read about it, there's quite a bit of info on google and it only costs $5.  Thanks for the heads up!

The only thing that bothered me about it was that there are quite a few disturbing results. It could upset someone younger with their life ahead of them "waiting" for something that may or may not happen. Just a thought..

@Trinity11

I totally agree with this.  At my age, anything can happen and it wouldn't take long to be the final illness, so I wouldn't take such a test.

I don't think anyone under 60 should do this.  It could ruin their lives thinking of all the things that may happen to them, e.g., I'm so glad I didn't know in advance that I was going to start on the road to autoimmune diseases at the age of 66.  Instead I enjoyed my healthy times up until then.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986