Respected Contributor

Re: Shots fired in our neighborhood

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't call 911 every time I hear gunshots. My neighborhood is not the m@ost desirable and I hear guns being fired often. It just happens. One time I found a bullit hole in the siding of my house. Good thing I 'm upstairs most of the time.

@SilleeMee - I disagree with you - if you see or hear something - say something - that's the only way these people are going to get caught - call the POLICE.  One day you and your family members may not be so lucky.  They stress here in Indiana, this is the only way they can get a handle on crime - say something please!

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11

Definitely not fireworks.  We hear them all the time, and it's a totally different sound.  We also thought maybe a car was backfiring on the highway, but this sound was too close and too loud.  My daughter, whose ex had several guns, told me it sounded more like a rifle than a handheld gun.

I checked the local news again and there is nothing.  So I guess we'll never know. 

I bet it was fireworks. I am a lot like yourself...I worry.

Off topic...I did one of those DNA tests and got back the results where I downloaded them to Promethease and the results were astonishing. Did you know there is a gene for worrying?

@Trinity11

No!!  I did not know that . . . then I definitely have that gene!  What is Promethease?  I've never heard of that.  Guess I'll google it.

Promethease is a website where you can download the results you receive from different websites where you can have your DNA tested to see what your heritage is. I received mine, downloaded it from Ancestory.com and paid the $5 fee to Promethease and received detailed information about what genes I have for certain diseases. It was pretty surprising how right they were about some of them. 

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree

A lot of local "crime incidents" are not reported to the news unless it is serious.  However, they will be listed on the Police Blotter. 

If your town has one, check your local PD Facebook page and/or website.

I live in the boones.  More deer than people reside where I live.  I hear shots just about every night due to illegal poaching.  It's never mentioned on the news, but it's always mentioned on the "blotter."

FWIW...

I have a police scanner.  So I always know what's what around my "county."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't know what gunshots sound like.  Like fireworks?

Nope.  It's more of a "pop pop pop"

Honored Contributor

There was a shooting about 4 blocks from my very pleasant street a couple years ago.

The shooter said he had thought he was shooting at someone else.

Didn't change anything, and luckily, the person he shot wasn't killed.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac

Hmm . . . we have a lot of woods around here, and deer.  That's probably what it was. 

Now I'm more mad than worried!!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't know what gunshots sound like.  Like fireworks?

Nope.  It's more of a "pop pop pop"

AK-47 sounds like fireworks.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11

Definitely not fireworks.  We hear them all the time, and it's a totally different sound.  We also thought maybe a car was backfiring on the highway, but this sound was too close and too loud.  My daughter, whose ex had several guns, told me it sounded more like a rifle than a handheld gun.

I checked the local news again and there is nothing.  So I guess we'll never know. 

Off topic...I did one of those DNA tests and got back the results where I downloaded them to Promethease and the results were astonishing. Did you know there is a gene for worrying?

@Trinity11

No!!  I did not know that . . . then I definitely have that gene!  What is Promethease?  I've never heard of that.  Guess I'll google it.

Promethease is a website where you can download the results you receive from different websites where you can have your DNA tested to see what your heritage is. I received mine, downloaded it from Ancestory.com and paid the $5 fee to Promethease and received detailed information about what genes I have for certain diseases. It was pretty surprising how right they were about some of them. 

@Trinity11

I've never had the 23 and me tests done.  But my daughter has (several years ago when her first symptoms appeared).  I remember looking at it and I guess I do not have the kind of mind that would be able to interpret it.  But I will tell her about the Promethease because I've never heard her mention it. 

I did read about it, there's quite a bit of info on google and it only costs $5.  Thanks for the heads up!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Why do people say "we live in a safe neighborhood" or "we leave our doors unlocked" or "this has never happened here before"???    Crime happens everywhere; it always has and it always yet.  Why do people like to pretend that bad things only happen in those other places?   There are tons of guns out in the streets; legal and illegal and people who own guns, own them because they intend to use them.  So, somone was out there shooting at somone and missed or maybe playing around or perhaps target shooting.  There were no injuries or dead bodies reported, be thankful for that.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11

@Trinity11

@Trinity11

I've never had the 23 and me tests done.  But my daughter has (several years ago when her first symptoms appeared).  I remember looking at it and I guess I do not have the kind of mind that would be able to interpret it.  But I will tell her about the Promethease because I've never heard her mention it. 

I did read about it, there's quite a bit of info on google and it only costs $5.  Thanks for the heads up!

The only thing that bothered me about it was that there are quite a few disturbing results. It could upset someone younger with their life ahead of them "waiting" for something that may or may not happen. Just a thought..