Respected Contributor

Re: Shortages again?

[ Edited ]

This morning, i heard a TV news report about a shortage of refrigerators.  Reason supposedly is connected to inability to get adequate parts which are made overseas, including China.

Guess whose fridge decided  this very afternoon that its icemaker would no longer work?

Perfect timing.  Must be a conspiracy.

I'm sure many families have bought new fridges or extra fridges  since they've had to stay home and cook more--which probably contributes to a shortage. 

I've wanted a spare fridge myself but have no room for it.  Now I'd be happy having just one with a working icemaker.

Super Contributor
I work for one of the big box retailers and we are starting to see some of the stock up behavior pick up again across the country. Not like the craziness in March, but people are preparing for the winter when things really spike with the pandemic.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m having trouble finding some things, Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner for one.  Did people not clean their toilets prior to the pandemic?  My grocery store had disinfectant wipes for a while but now they’re out again.  I stocked up on those while I could because we use them a lot.  As a caregiver I’m always cleaning up all types of situations.  Right now there seem to be plenty of paper products. 

Honored Contributor

I was at Target briefly this morning and they had tons of toilet paper, Kleenex and paper towels.  For wipes, they had an off brand I've never heard of.

I bought more Charmin, which is the brand I like, for my winter supply, and today I am donating unopened packages of Northern and White Cloud (total of 4 packages) to a food pantry which specifically asked for paper products.  I also have some napkins for them. 

I also bought a large thing of paper towels for the food pantry and ordered food items from Instacart for them which will be here before noon.  

The consignment store in my area is doing the collections and they're going to deliver it all.

But Target  looked good this morning.  Lots of stock on that kind of stuff. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I had to pick up a prescription at Costco this morning.  I figured since I was already there I would take a quick look around.  They had several brands of toilet paper, paper towels, disinfectant wipes but not Clorox brand.  I did pick up some Charmin and lemons.  I am pretty well set for winter isolation already.

Honored Contributor

Around here, the first time it snows or sleets, it's going to be a madhouse. It's normally pretty bad when that happens, but this year will be a doozy. I don't even want to need any groceries that whole week or the two or three after.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@cotton4me  The Old fashioned way before New fangled squirt cleaners was to use an Ajax powder type cleaner and give the bowl a good scrubbing with a stiff toilet brush. 

Respected Contributor

What I did not get today in my Wal-Mart order. Paper plates, Coke Zero and Squirrel Corn. Not too bad all things considered. I ordered paper plates on amazon earlier in the week when I couldn't get them in my order then. 

Valued Contributor

Its not only paper products where I live but frozen food items. Not a pot pie in sight! 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hit Aldi's and Walmart today. The only thing I couldn't find at either (and our Walmart is a Super Center) was frozen fruit. Frozen vegis were low in quantity but they had some.

Now, what shocked me was the cost. I buy the same thing every other week (I shop for groceries twice a month and fill in with fresh items as needed) without fail; can rattle off the list in my sleep. I spend about $135 when at Aldi's. Sometimes it's $150 or so, sometimes under $100 but the average is $135. I'd noticed since June and since being in Florida (August 1), that the cost had been creeping up by $20-$30 each visit; that's a significant increase. Today, it blew my mind: $234!!!! I looked at the cashier and said "there must be a mistake". Since there was no one behind me, he handed me the receipt and I went over every item: nothing had been rung twice, sale items had the sale price....it WAS correct. Just....wow.

As I putting my Aldi bags away, I found a receipt from the beginning of July. I sat down and compared and was sickened to see that the majority of items I always purchase had DOUBLED in price. Also, many had gone down in weight but UP in cost (full fat yogurt went down by 2 ounces but increased .25 cents). It may not seem much but it adds up.

I can't imagine how people can afford to shop at the name brand stores. I know I can't. But reading here and other sites, I remember many saying the cost of food items (all items) were going to go up and in a big way; they were so right.  Smiley Sad

"Coming to ya from Florida"