Respected Contributor

Went to a Market Basket today.  No chlorox wipes. I saw One lysol Spray can on the shelf.  Plenty of T.P..  Interestingly, They had a posted limit of One roll on their house brand single roll Paper Towels.  No limits placed on ANY brand MULTIPACK Paper towels.  I'm wondering if that was a ploy to get people to by the more expensive Multipacks even if they don't need any yet.  I confess I picked up a roll of Bounty because it's tradition to use them during Thanksgiving day meal prep.  Been doing that for decades so just hedging my bets I'll have it for this year.  One more familiar, comforting, normal tradition that'll be in place for me. 

Honored Contributor

For weeks here in southwest Ohio, I couldn't find toilet bowl cleaner. Finally got some a few days ago. 

Respected Contributor

What I'm able to fine varies from day to day and store to store. Typically, the smaller, local grocery stores have more limited availability than Meijer, but it's not always the case. 

After having great difficulty in finding them, I've gotten in the habit of picking up a pack of both TP and paper towels every time I see them. I hauled my latest pick-up down to the basement today and decided that I can stop. I have a good 18 month supply of each. I'm actually going to ship a 24 roll equivalent pack of TP to myself in FL before I go just in case I'm not able to fine it easily out on my island. It can sit in my closet there just as well as it can up north. 

I've not been able to find either Lysol or Clorox branded wipes, but the Meijer brand have been quite plentiful and work just fine. I can also easily source both Lysol and Clorox spray cleaners. It's just the branded wipes that seem elusive. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Mominohio    I thought it was just Clorox and/or Lysol brand wipes were effective as opposed to store brand and/or (e.g.) 7th Generation wipes.

I use the Clorox and Lysol wipes for things I want immediately wiped down to disinfect, but use the other ones for things I want to wipe down, but won't be using/opening/touching for days (or weeks).

I have a source for getting the Clorox/Lysol wipes, but still use them incredibly sparingly.  I have never seen one tub on the shelves since mid March.

The store brands or others like the 7th Generation, I do see and pick them up every time.  As long as they are made in this country. 

It's amazing where some of these wipes and hand sanitizers are coming from nowadays....China, Korea, Turkey and I refuse to purchase them.

I have many bottles of Clorox sprays and if it comes to making my own wipes, I will.  I also have many alcohol gels and sprays that I can use, too.

@Lucky Charm 

There are other brands of wipes that effective against Covid. There are epa registration numbers on the canister, that you can look up to see if they are considered to be effective, and what all various bacteria and viruses they will kill.

Respected Contributor

No shortages here.  Except you still can't get Clorox Wipes.  At this point I don't even look for them.

Respected Contributor

I was concerned about renewed shortages this winter, so I have been slowly stocking up this summer.  I now have an ample supply of paper products, laundry detergent, antibacterial dish detergent, and canned veggies, soups, coffee and boxed pastas.  Those were all things hard to come by earlier this year in my area.

I also made a few trips to the credit union for quarter rolls (I have to use the coin operated washer and dryer in my apartment).  I have enough to get me through the winter.

Chlorox wipes are still not available here.  Meat...especially beef...has gotten very expensive.

I hope everyone stashes away some of the things used most while they are easily available right now.  I only buy in quantity things I know I will use and that have a long shelf life.

I probably have more than I need..but living alone, I worry about what would happen if I got sick.  No husband or partner to go to the store for me, so I try to be ready for the unexpected.

Respected Contributor

Re: Shortages again?

[ Edited ]

@alicedee  I think you are wise to be concerned.  I feel these shortfalls in supplies are going to continue.  I am trying to keep ahead without going overboard.  I have enough shelf stable items in terms of food, condiments, and seasonings.  

Also have managed to stay ahead in terms of cleaning items but without giving in to outrageous price gouging I've seen in some online prices.

The main thing I've found to keep my sanity is to avoid giving in to a feeling of despair and to try to keep some perspective.  

People have lived through worse times in history and this supply issue, though very worrisome, is definitely better than experiencing an actual famine.  

For instance, I've been re-reading the novel The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck.

I am focused on managing this senior household of two and keeping our spirits buoyed by looking at all the positives we still enjoy in our lives despite the continued limitations on, or complete absence of, many of our everyday routines we still have to forgo for the foreseable future.

Courage, all--we'll get through this.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Honored Contributor

I got a few extras (food) last week, since it won't go to waste even if we don't encounter more (rise) again.  It was projected earlier this year, that if in the fall it might not pick up again.  So, I'm remembering that.  

There's only 1-2 things that I recall our store has been out of off and on. Sometimes I'm amazed at how full the shelves are.  

Trusted Contributor

No canned pumpkin where I live!

Esteemed Contributor

@KailaS wrote:

Where I live, we have not had wipes since March.  Right now, missing items aare cat food and pumpkin. We have pumpkin pie mix but no canned pumpkin (which my cat needs for digestion) for about a month. 

We also had a stretch of no canned veggies. Most veggies are back, but now pasta is in limited supply again.  Prices continue to be worse than they were during the summer. 

@KailaS 

Years ago there also was a pumpkin shortage and my cat needed this for digestive purposes too. I was able to very successfully substitute with jars of baby food strained orange squash. Same results for my pet and less waste for me as such a small amount was needed. Something you might consider for the benefit of your pet's needs.