Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping on the internet

I don't wear either makeup or fragrance, but if I did, I doubt I'd buy much online of those, especially the fragrance.

I can't imagine buying shoes online either. I can go to a store, and try on 10 pairs of shoes in the same size, and find maybe one pair that is suitable. So I'd never take a chance online, unless I already had the exact shoe, loved it and wanted another pair just like it (I have done that before).

Can't see how anyone buys clothing online, unless it is a basic item like a tee shirt/sweat shirt type thing. Maybe some tops in general, depending on the cut would be easy to judge, but dresses or pants of any kind, no way would that work for me.

I have bought food online. We get citrus from a grove in Florida every winter, and have had a number of things from Q, most of which were good, but most of them overpriced as well. An annual favorite is the Mrs. Prindables pink lady apples, and we have enjoyed the My Grandmas coffee cakes. My mom has gifted us several meat selections from Q and while ok, I'd never spend the money on them.

I do know that online shopping is a saving grace for a lot of people. I haven't liked to shop a mall for over a decade now. And lately, I've had some foot trouble that makes even going to the grocery a major pain, so I can relate to how, just in general, online shopping is allowing folks some choice and freedom that had been lost to them as either their health declined, or their availability of choices has been reduced in the brick and mortart locations.

Respected Contributor

i've made many purchases online for just about everything and very, very rarely been disappointed.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I have bought almost everything online (I live 3 hrs from major shopping).  I bought shoes (zappos) clothes, pets (Craig's list) food (Amazon) major furniture (Overstock) and a 55" t.v.(Amazon). Additionally I have bought over 1000 items from Ebay (collectibles, jewelry, electronics).  I do my research and almost never make returns.  I have a Blackbelt in internet shopping.

LOL...that's a great way to put it!  I do too!

I buy everything online.  Have very few returns.  I know my sizes in each vendor.

I find better prices, good quality and reliable vendors.  I work 55 hrs. plus, have a family and ailing mother to care for...shopping is a luxury for my eyes, no time to drive around and dawdle in stores.

Shoes?  Always

Makeup?  Always

Jewelry?  Tons

Clothes?  Always

Food?  VERY often

Pets?  Yep, last 2 were from online

Laptops and small electronics?  Better prices!

Smaller Furniture?  Many times, even bought a FAB headboard on Amazon

You name it?  I have ordered it.  Power online shopper.  I loathe the malls, strip plazas etc. 

The only things I would not buy online are as someone else said...large appliances, mattresses, Large furniture such as couches or dining sets and TVs.  Fragrance is now off my list as well since Q changed the return policy.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@patbz wrote:

I have bought almost everything online (I live 3 hrs from major shopping).  I bought shoes (zappos) clothes, pets (Craig's list) food (Amazon) major furniture (Overstock) and a 55" t.v.(Amazon). Additionally I have bought over 1000 items from Ebay (collectibles, jewelry, electronics).  I do my research and almost never make returns.  I have a Blackbelt in internet shopping.

LOL...that's a great way to put it!  I do too!

I buy everything online.  Have very few returns.  I know my sizes in each vendor.

I find better prices, good quality and reliable vendors.  I work 55 hrs. plus, have a family and ailing mother to care for...shopping is a luxury for my eyes, no time to drive around and dawdle in stores.

Shoes?  Always

Makeup?  Always

Jewelry?  Tons

Clothes?  Always

Food?  VERY often

Pets?  Yep, last 2 were from online

Laptops and small electronics?  Better prices!

Smaller Furniture?  Many times, even bought a FAB headboard on Amazon

You name it?  I have ordered it.  Power online shopper.  I loathe the malls, strip plazas etc. 

The only things I would not buy online are as someone else said...large appliances, mattresses, Large furniture such as couches or dining sets and TVs.  Fragrance is now off my list as well since Q changed the return policy.

Can I ask about the pets? 

I'm curious because I wouldn't buy one off the web because I wouldn't know the temperament of the animal before purchasing. What kind of info do the sellers give about the pet? And how do you know if it's the right pet for you? And what do you do if the pet isn't right for you? How do you return a pet? 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Trusted Contributor

Why would anyone care what others choose to buy online?

I prefer to shop from the comfort of my home. Many sites have free shipping both ways. 

Honored Contributor

I'm just happy we have so many choices. 

Most people do what's best for them. 

Honored Contributor

i would not buy expensive jewelry on line, but I'm open to pretty much most other things, since I hate to mall shop.  I, too, order all my shoes on line.  I have a narrow foot and it's much easier to find my size.  Additionally, some of the websites offer great discounts.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Some stuff I just can't understand how they can buy online. One is shoes - don't you need to try on shoes and walk in them in the store to be certain they fit correctly?  The only time I have ever bought shoes online was a pair of Clark's loafers that I already have in navy and brown. When they showed them on QVC in burgundy I did jump on getting them, but I was already certain they would fit. I could never buy shoes online without trying them on.

Another thing I can't buy online or from QVC is makeup. Especially since MU is so expensive anymore , I need to try it on or hold it next to my skin and look at the colors. The only time I buy any MU online or from QVC is if I am just replacing something I have used up, and I already know my shade. For instance lipstick queen medievil lipstick. I already have used it for a while and I know I like it, so I do watch her site for sales.

Do you have some things you would never buy online, or only in certain circumstances?

Lucky you! 

I wear wide shoes and very few local stores carry my size. When they do, it's in maybe one or two styles or colors. Or they say, "we have that in wide online." I can't walk into any store I want and come out with shoes. Even before the internet existed, I had to order shoes through catalogs to get my size. My father has the same problem and hasn't bought shoes in a store in decades. Sure, sometimes they don't fit and need to be returned, but it beats the nothing for me to try on I find in stores.

I buy makeup online often, but will only buy foundation online after seeing and testing it in a brick and mortar store.

We have local grocery delivery services where I am, both Instacart and  Amazon Prime Now. You order online or through an App. When I was sick last month, I had Amazon deliver cold medication, tissues, and a Neti Pot to my door. They showed up 2 hours later and left them at my door. I didn't have to leave my house or infect anyone else. A few days later I was still sick and had Instacart deliver chicken, pasta and sauce, tissues, toilet paper, and a few other things I needed. They also dropped it off at my door so I didn't have to go out into the world and infect anyone. When the chicken I wanted wasn't in stock, the delivery person texted me to ask me if a substitution was acceptable and told me which one was picked instead. I approved and the groceries were on my doorstep 30 minutes later. I cooked up the chicken the next night and it was delicious.

I wouldn't buy a car or a house online, but that's about it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy both makeup and shoes online with no problem at all.  Buying - especially from shopping channels - allows you to wear them and return them if they were uncomfortable.  B & M stores will not take them back if the soles show any wear at all!!  I find excellent descriptions of makeup online and know my skin well so for me it's really easy.  Plus there are reviews online that often help with sizing and for makeup - colors.  It sure beats going to a B & M makeup counter to become the target of salespeople trying to sell even if products are definitely for you!!  In all the years buying online, I never had to return any makeup and only twice did I have to return shoes for a different size.  

Smaug posted

I'm curious because I wouldn't buy one off the web because I wouldn't know the temperament of the animal before purchasing. What kind of info do the sellers give about the pet? And how do you know if it's the right pet for you? And what do you do if the pet isn't right for you? How do you return a pet? 

I found 2 southerb rescue dogs on petfinder and there was enough info to tell me they were for me - AND - I wasn't disappointed.  Petfinder and such rescue sites do disclose any traits that might not be for everyone.  I can't imagine not wanting a pet after adopting.   Kind of like saying your child just isn't right for you due to their personality traits!!  Although they will take the pet back rather than have it become a stray or be abused, people that use these sites are usually real animal lovers and would never think of abandoning them again. 

Valued Contributor

I really don't like shopping in stores, I hate crowds. I do go to the grocery, probably every two weeks or so, but the only other stores I really ever go to are CVS, Dollar General, Kohl's and sometimes Target but not often. I pretty much buy everything I need online,even shoes. I rather not spend a day or even days hunting for something I need when I can find it online easier and most times for a better price.