Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopping on the internet

I rarely buy clothing or shoes... just have really bad luck getting the right size. Most everything else I can order and do.. electronics, food, health and body care. I rarely shop at drug stores.

Respected Contributor

The one thing I don't have any problem buying online is shoes. I wear a size 6, my foot is not wide, and as long as they are leather and a brand I'm familiar with, I'm good. 

I've gone through some hits and misses but I'm getting to the point of knowing what will work. I don't however buy clothes from QVC anymore because of their shipping and returns cost. The fact that they made average and long pants different item numbers so you can't exchange but have to return and re-order did it for me. I buy from HSN because my returns are free ((well, a credit at HSN). 

I'm pretty open to ordering anything but only from reputable sources. 

Esteemed Contributor

Best things I ever "bought" online were the two dogs I adopted (each with a small fee) from Petfinder.com! Of course I went to pick them up- no shipping of doge from a shelter.

Honored Contributor

I have bought both shoes and make-up online. I buy make-up rarely. The fewer color choices they offer, the easier it is to choose. The more foundation choices there are, the more I would feel I needed a store. But if I have a choice of really light, light, medium or dark, that kind of choice is a no-brainer.

Normally I would have previously said I wouldn't buy shoes online, but I NEED orthotic shoes so I took a chance on Vionics and now know my size. Have ordered that same size in another brand online and those worked too. At this time in my life, my size is pretty set and I know what styles do not work on my foot. I rarely need to send anything back.

I would never buy clothing from any of the shopping channels as the sizes and measurements are too variable, and from the prices they charge and s&h, it's just not worth the hassle. I do, however, buy some clothing online from major online retailers whose brands and sizing I know.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I won't buy makeup online since the shades online are often not true representations of the item color, I won't buy perishable food online, I won't buy a car online, I want to see & test drive what I'm paying posslbly tens of  thousands of dollars for,  I won't buy a major appliance online or furniture online because again, I want to check the item out in person to make sure that it meets my needs.

I buy shoes online but only from sites that have free shipping to me & free shipping back to them if the shoes don't work out. I won't buy bras online because I have to try them on, I'll buy clothing online but only if the company I'm purchasing from also has a brick & mortar store, I can return the item (s) to the store if they don't work out for whatever reason. (think Kohl's)

Sites that I purchase from often are Kohl's & Amazon. When shopping at Amazon I only buy the item if it's indicated that it's free shipping back to them if the item ends up not working out for me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I learned my lesson the hard way about both shoes and fragrance.  The fragrance I just should have known better.  I really need to wear a fragrance for a while before I can decide how I like it on ME. 

I recently bought a pair of shoes at Shoe Carnival that I LOVE.  They had an on line sale so I thought I would be safe purchasing the exact same shoe in the exact same size.  The shoes I received from my on line order were noticeably BIGGER, even though marked the same size!  Woman Frustrated

Edited to add:  Oh yes, bras, too!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I much prefer shopping online than going into stores since we really don't have any malls.  We have three Walmarts which is okay because I like what I find there. Neat little tops near the checkout that always fit me and always serve my purpose.  (Even get compliments because I buy by color and match outfits).  

Online to my house is easy and often without the cost of shipping or even tax. Shoes fit, clothes fit, nice variety, great prices.  It is easier for me than take a 32-40 mile trip to a mall or something that pretends to be a mall.  We do have outlets but they are about the same distance.  

I wear a 6.5 medium shoe and everything fits me.  No problem, much prefer being at my computer, selecting, ordering and keeping the UPS guy or USPS gal busy.  

Forgot to add I buy makeup from the Avon gal.  I just call her,  ask when there is a sale on the things I always buy... eyeliner, mascara, foundation.  Great sale prices and I am satisfied.

I might also add that I buy hair products at Walmart  and they work for me.  I cannot ever figure out why anyone would want to break the bank to buy cosmetics or shampoo.  I have four daughters with different kinds of hair.  I bought them one of the fancy products from the Q and they tossed it back at me and wondered if I was losing my mind spending THAT MUCH for something that they said was all hype and no result.  

Honored Contributor

I never buy make-up online unless I've purchased it before and know my shade.  I think you have to try it first to get a good match.  I also would never buy mattresses or furniture online.  I buy shoes online all the time, but only from places that have free shipping and free returns.  I have problem feet and need orthotic type shoes.  The selection is very poor where I live.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I think people eventually figure out what they can and can't buy online. I purchase Beauty items all of the time online. Most of the time they work out if not I will return. 

I purchase shower gels all of the time as well. Have there been times where I have said, well this is not for me. YES, but for the most part this has not been a problem either.  

The only types of shoes that I can purchase online are boots. I have a very narrow ankle and I need to walk in shoes to see if they will work for me or not.

In my case it would be convenience. I live in Southern California, if I want to go into a BM store or a beauty store this is not a problem. It's all about the  time for me. I work long days, and  I use a year of my life each day during  my morning and evening commutes. (smile) I just dont' want to spend my free time running from store to store, when I can just click a button.

I would say different strokes.

Esteemed Contributor

I have bought almost everything online (I live 3 hrs from major shopping).  I bought shoes (zappos) clothes, pets (Craig's list) food (Amazon) major furniture (Overstock) and a 55" t.v.(Amazon). Additionally I have bought over 1000 items from Ebay (collectibles, jewelry, electronics).  I do my research and almost never make returns.  I have a Blackbelt in internet shopping.