Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping on the internet

Years ago, I purchased a new car from cardsdirectdotcom. Best auto purchase I ever made.

I had thoroughly researched the make & model I wanted as well as researching the list price and the local going rate. I got a quote from a local dealer that I knew was saving me about $2000 (a lot of $$ at the time). I agreed, including trade-in. I did the financing through my CU and took the paperwork with me when I went to p/u the car. While I was waiting (total 45 min from arrival to drive-off) they mentioned that the carsdirect price was even better than the Costco price.

Those sites - carsdirect, carsdotcom, edmunds, etc. no longer work the same way, the savings are no longer as great. But I got a very good deal at the time, without being hassled by a salesman.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

The advantage to buying shoes from Qvc is that unless a mistake is made, you will receive a pair that is pristine and never been worn or tried on by anyone else.  That's a real WOW for me when you stop and consider how many people are trying on shoes in a regular store and frequently without a ped, nylon or sock.  I've seen it and have been grossed out too many times to ever buy shoes from brick and mortar again.  

Trusted Contributor

While I love the idea of shopping local, and I'll be buying a lot of American made on my upcoming trips, most of what I purchase is 20 or more miles away--and it costs $1 or more per mile to drive a car.. Just today, I went to my favorite boutique, and I spent over $150, but I had to drive 25 miles to get there.  Since the items I purchased are harder to find, it was worth it.  Sneakers I can buy locally, but I wear a size 12 shoe, and online purchasing is a must now that the "local" Nordstrom closed.  

Then there are the bargains.  Origins recently had a full-size body product with a $40 purchase as well as free shipping.  I got $90 worth of product for less than $50.  Even if Macy's was next door, they just can't compete.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@foundinlv wrote:

The advantage to buying shoes from Qvc is that unless a mistake is made, you will receive a pair that is pristine and never been worn or tried on by anyone else.  That's a real WOW for me when you stop and consider how many people are trying on shoes in a regular store and frequently without a ped, nylon or sock.  I've seen it and have been grossed out too many times to ever buy shoes from brick and mortar again.  

That's one thing I like about Zulily shoes.  They're fresh from the factory without a crease in the tissue with all the stuffing perfectly intact.  Every pair I ever got from Amazon appeared to have been tried on previously.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I buy almost everything online.  I live in a small town where basically, if you can't buy it at Wally World, you can't buy it here.  It's 30 miles to the nearest mall, and the selection there isn't that great.  I'm spoiled by everything I see on TV and online.  I used to love shopping at the malls, but now everytime I go I am just so disappointed in the merchandise there.  I usually end up coming home and ordering something from Amazon or the Q.

I don't buy food online, except for salts and spices.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor

@SHIRAZ have you ever checked out Amazon Prime Pantry? I really like it. They have good prices, coupons for some items right on the product page, $5 flat rate shipping for your box, no matter how much it weighs. As you add items to your cart, they tell you your box is whatever % full. My last box weighed over 50lbs, the shipping was free and I did not have to schlep home 50lbs of houshold and grocery items. 

Most of the time they have a section with a large selection of products and if you buy 4 products from that particular section, that $5 is waived, so free shipping. 

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

That sounds like a great deal @betteb 

I don't buy a lot of groceries from Amazon becase I don't want to stock up that much to take advantage of some of the deals where you have to buy 4-6 boxes of something to get a decent price.  I do check them out when I am looking for something specific that I can't find around here, or when the local stores stop carrying my brand in one of my staples.  I figure I have to go to the local stores often enough for produce and dairy anyway.  When I see something on Amazon I want to try, I put it on my wishlist so I can add it on next time I'm doing an order.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SHIRAZ wrote:

That sounds like a great deal @betteb 

I don't buy a lot of groceries from Amazon becase I don't want to stock up that much to take advantage of some of the deals where you have to buy 4-6 boxes of something to get a decent price.  I do check them out when I am looking for something specific that I can't find around here, or when the local stores stop carrying my brand in one of my staples.  I figure I have to go to the local stores often enough for produce and dairy anyway.  When I see something on Amazon I want to try, I put it on my wishlist so I can add it on next time I'm doing an order.

*************************************************************************************

Yes I get you about the stocking up @SHIRAZ, but the beauty of the Prime Pantry section is, it's mostly single products. I did buy a 12 roll Angel Soft and a 6 pack of Kleenex (crazy good price with the online coupon) but I also bought 1 box of cereal, 1 bottle of fabric softener, etc. They have the pantry section set up where you don't have to buy all muti packs and big quantities. One of the things I love to buy is cat litter. It's heavy for me and they deliver it to my door step.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

I find myself having to shop online for shoes because of my wide feet. There just aren't a lot of places I can find shoes to fit in brick & mortar stores. I wish there were more options because it's a pain to mail order and have to return if they don't fit. Cosmetics I would rather buy in person but I do get caught up and give in to impulse buys on QVC, etc.