Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping on Thanksgiving or Black Friday?

I don't shop on Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas or New Year's Day. I NOBODY did, then business would have no reason to be open and employees could have the day off.

Yes, I know that what I choose to do means nothing other than to me.

Black Friday I shop via my computer if there is something I need/the deal is good via an online coupon. Else, I hang out with my family. : )

Honored Contributor

I certainly won't go out shopping to a B&M store .... more likely to scan various sites online and see if there's any big super duper sales or special pricing that day.   

If something terrific jumped out at me, I'd buy it.   LOL

Honored Contributor

When our kids were younger I did the Black Friday thing.  Then I got my DH involved so we could divide and conquer.  He actually started enjoying it when he realized he could find some deals for himself at certain stores.  Boy, we were sure cold those mornings so I started bringing a themos pot of coffee along.  Toward the end of doing it, people were beginning to line up at Best Buy at 8PM on Thankgiving night (they even pitched a little tent right at the door).  Then stores began opening on Thanksgiving a few years ago.  We have kids who work in retail so it really interferes with us being able to enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner as a family.  The disturbing part is that the retailers are thinking about their financial status and putting that above the importance of family gatherings or those who might like to serve at a community sponsored meal.

Since most of the sales are accessible online now, it's much more convenient to shop in my warm house, in my PJ's, hair and makeup undone, the dog keeping me company, and getting the extra benefit of shopping through a rebate site like Ebates.  That said, the best deals aren't always on Thanksgiving or Black Friday - they can come before or after and maybe even on a better version of something rather than an off-brand. Consumers need to be smart shoppers.

Respected Contributor

@Marp, funny how that works, right?  lol

Respected Contributor

As a flight attendant, I've had to spend many holidays away from home working when I didn't have enough seniority to be off.  When I haven't had to work holidays, my mother and I have made it our tradition to go out shopping.  It's something we both really enjoy.  Never seen any of the nightmares that are shown on tv.  I think it's great that the stores are open.  Not everyone has family or friends to be with on the holidays and like having the oppportunity to get out and about.  Not everyone (like me) really even cares for the Thanksgiving holiday.  For me, it's all about Christmas.  I'll definitely get all my Christmas decorations out next week. I usually decorate early.  I have some things out already and since I work away from home for days at a time, I want them up early to enjoy them.  I'm not much of an online shopper.  I prefer to see and feel things and try things on before I buy.

Trusted Contributor

No, I have my shopping done. I am buying for three friends and something for my son and I am giving the girls a necklace of frozen........my three year old will want to wear hers right away and then the new baby will have it for when she is older but my daughter in law may not let jasmine have hers but she will have to take it from her becaue I will give it to my three year old to open.........hopefully they will come to my brothers for holiday.  For my girl friends they are getting a T S PINK soap and a pretty candle.  I hope they like it. I sure would like to have a gift like that I love TS Pink.  I am spending Thanksgiving and Christmas alone. I always do each year.  well, last year my son did arrive late Christmas night and they went to sleep and left early the next day.

Regular Contributor

Possibly online but it wouldn't be until my sons are down for the count after dinner and playing their video games or something. I have to work on Friday like always but I try to stay away from all those crowds anyway. My office is nice and quiet on Black Friday so I get alot of work done.

Respected Contributor

No shopping on Thanksgiving. I just want to share the day with loved ones and relax in the evening. I am glad to see more businesses advertising that they will be closed so their employees can be with their loved ones too. I realize that safety and health services are on call out of necessity. Thank you to those of you who have to work.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I just saw a spot on tv last night from TJMaxx, Marshalls and Home Goods.  Something to the effect of staying closed on Thanksgiving so their employees can spend time with their families.  If these stores did a good enough business on Thanksgiving, they would be open.  My guess is sales were slow so they are closing. 

I will not be shopping on-line or in a store on Thanksgiving.  I will go out on Black Friday, sometime, just up the road to Home Depot to get my live wreath for my front door because they always have them on BF for $5.00.     

@LipstickdivaI just emailed the home office of the anchor store where I worked and let them know why I won't shop Thanksgiving night!

I did love shopping Black Friday when I was a teacher!

Trusted Contributor

No