Respected Contributor

Re: Shopping is now a huge hassle

@Mominohio   I agree with so much of what you expressed. I am tired of the whole thing and wearing the mask is wearing me out. I race around to get what I need and get out of the stores......no casual looking for me anymore. Shopping has ceased to be any fun....that stopped months ago. I order most of my goodies online.

I feel sad a good part of the time for what is coming. Mostly, I try to stay positive but it is hard sometimes.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

Who knew absolutely no venting was allowed here. I drove to pickup groceries yesterday at Walmart and their garden gates are closed so you can only go through the front doors. I saw all the plants and succulents and said a bad word because I so badly wanted to go in and grab some succulents. I'm not walking through the whole store to go to the garden section. I may go to the nursery today. I'm sick to death of doing nothing at all that I want to do. And Anyone who thinks they get to tell me to do better. I've truly gone nowhere but to the pharmacy to get cards for birthdays and do pickups for groceries and the vet and sat in the parking lot for months now. My daily walks are a godsend right now as are my husband and my puppies. 

This is one of those things, among many, that doesn't make any sense to me.  Home Depot and Lowes in my area are the same way. You can only go in one set of doors in the store and you have to walk through the entire store to get to the garden area, thus being around more people than you need to be around.  Why not just let people walk directly into the garden area?  It's less exposure.  

I don't know if our Lowe's is this way.My husband has been but I have not. I'm in the danger category not because of age but because of asthma and Type 1 diabetes so I'm being very careful. But he needs to go to Lowe's later and I'm going with him. 
It sure seems walking through the garden section would be safer. Especially when there is a checkout outside. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1  and others with the same concern... I agree with you on the whole multiple door issue, but I think the reason some large box stores have gone to one entrance is ostensibly to be able to control the number of customers in the store at any point in time, as many jurisdictions are mandating that they do. There was probably literally no thought given by those doing the mandating or those implementing the mandates that in some instances it potentially makes things less safe and more cumbersome.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

@Mominohio   I agree with so much of what you expressed. I am tired of the whole thing and wearing the mask is wearing me out. I race around to get what I need and get out of the stores......no casual looking for me anymore. Shopping has ceased to be any fun....that stopped months ago. I order most of my goodies online.

I feel sad a good part of the time for what is coming. Mostly, I try to stay positive but it is hard sometimes.

@Regal Bee 

I am also very worried about this.  I'm afraid that the worse is yet to come once flu season is upon us.

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@Mominohio I hear mixed messages from you.  On the one hand, you're self sufficient and prepared for stuff to happen, and have good supplies, but then you're always out there shopping.

@stuyvesant 

See there is a thing with being prepared, it's a never ending thing. 

For example, one can have a 6 month supply of food and things one needs, but every single day, one is using some of that stuff. During this pandemic, using even more as one is home all the time, cooking at home, and using things up instead of eating out, traveling etc. So all consumable things need to be constantly replaced to maintain the same stock. And in my case, I have donated to a local food pantry, and given to family many things they were in need of, so yes, I have shopped quite a lot both online and in person at grocery and Sam's and the farm supply store, in order to continue to build my stock in some areas I was light on, and to maintain the level of supplies in general. I also have had to shop for three households most of this time, my own, my mom who we are keeping out of the stores as much as possible, and my adult son who is working two jobs sometimes a third. 

The shopping trip I've complained about in this post was unfortunately necessary for me and for me to take my mom along. I think some people can buy things like jeans, or shoes or bras by just ordering their size. We have never been like that. We have distinct needs and could never just buy something in certain categories without trying them on, and it's not unusual to have to try many on to find what suits us, and feels right. In the case of shoes, we both have issues with feet that really need surgery, but have chosen not to take that route at this time, and so acceptable shoes are really a specific and hard to find item for both of us right now.

There were a few things (shoes, bras, and for my mom, pants/jeans) that we had been in need of going out and replacing for probably the last year or more. We both hate clothing shopping, and had put it off, unfortunately, until we were faced with doing it at this inopportune time. 

So It is what it is. I live a prepared lifestyle, but to do that, you have to constantly keep up with it, and that means shopping ( online or in person) to maintain it. 

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

"Is now a huge hassle" ??

Shopping by me is 10x better than it was at the beginning of the "hoax"

I have a picture of the freezer, TP and bread sections of my Trader Joe's in March - 100% wiped out.  Waiting 20 minutes to get into a store was normal.

The pandemic has caused many problems, including 170k US deaths (and counting), lingering health issues and financial problems on every level.  A problem is when your kid is sick. Not finding gym shoes isn't.

I try to stay positive - my family is healthy.  But I want my old life back.

Maybe you shouldn't try and choose what someone elses' hassle is or isn't, because you don't live their lives. I don't think people take the time to realize just how critical something might be to someone else, because it isn't critical to them. 

My mom and I both have issues with our feet, mine is ongoing hers is a recent accident. Both of us are struggling to walk any distance without severe pain, especially on concrete. The shoes we need, need to be very supportive and make the difference in being able to function on a daily basis, both inside the home, or out in public.

Both of us were down to our last pair of shoes that were wearable in comfort, and those were getting well worn and not functioning as we needed any longer. Neither of us is the typical woman, with a closet full of shoes. We are lucky if we ever have more than just a couple of pair each at any given time.

It's way more than 'gym shoes'. 

Honored Contributor

Our lives are trying to be controlled.  All of us who needs to speak out should.  It takes a stronger person to stand up and speak out.  Speak up and be loud.  At some point, it's going to come to head to head.  I won't give up my rights.

Esteemed Contributor

The stores with the poorest selection of inventory after re-opening is hands down Winners and Winners/Homesense in Canada and that is reflected in the TJX latest earnings report. You can't sell what you don't have and bare walls and stores with massive shortages for more than 2 months after re-opening shows how ill-prepared TJX has been to deal with a pandemic. They have never sold inventory via the internet in Canada and stopped selling in the U.S. via the internet when everything closed down in March. They have very little to pick from even 3 months after re-opening in Canada. It's easier to shop elsewhere that is more reliable and better stocked.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Our lives are trying to be controlled.  All of us who needs to speak out should.  It takes a stronger person to stand up and speak out.  Speak up and be loud.  At some point, it's going to come to head to head.  I won't give up my rights.

@rms1954, I'm not getting how this relates to the topic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I have long considered shopping to be a chore so I ordered many things online well before this pandemic.  At this time going to the grocery is the only shopping I do.  So for me, I don't miss shopping and don't have any perspective about the type, quanity, or quality of products out there.

But @Mominohio, since you specifically mentioned jeans I will pass on that I have seen multiple articles and news segments that manufacturers of jeans have really cut down on production due to really low demand.  Reportedly it is because sales of yoga pants, etc. have gone through the roof with the shutdown and post shutdown with sales of jeans plummeting.  Therefore some are even speculating that jeans will not be as available as they once were for an extended period of time.  Just passing that along for what it is worth.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *