Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping is now a huge hassle

Go ahead and vent, sometimes you just have to !  I do almost all of my shopping online now, except for groceries.  Actually pre pandemic that's how I did most of my shopping anyway. In my small area there isn't much shopping available. I haven't been i the local Walmart since this ish show started. There are too many people who can't be bothered to wear a mask. In my grocery store there is 100% compliance. Between Amazon and Walmart online I can get almost everything I need. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

I do most of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's.  They have a senior hour from 8AM-9AM.  Sometimes I go early and wait in line till they open.  But lately, I go at 8:30 and there is no line.  The biggest advantage is that everything is fully stocked at that hour.  What I hate most is putting the stuff away when I get back home!

@Krimpette   Same at the TJ's we go to-I've noticed no senior lines anymore although I've always went early once they started them.  I shop when markets open anyway but that extra early hour really made a difference.

Inventory is great-even in the early rush for toilet paper ours had it, although restricted to one package. 

Fresh produce, eggs, cereal, canned foods such as tuna, soups, frozen veggies and meals-all there all the time.  Most restrictions have been lifted so since they started early it may have helped.

Waiting for the pumpkin season to start!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are all a bunch of haters.

Like @Krimpette I find going to a store a half hour after it opens better than waiting in line. Those really early birds are finishing up when I get there.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  I normally do not shop in stores for clothes anymore-just too dang hot down here and since it's a warm state I don't need to swap out wardrobes as much.

I can imagine how deserted the malls must be; that was a long day you and your mom had and I can relate to the hot masks if I hit more than one grocery store.

At least you were able to find shoes.  Shoes are the one thing I miss trying on; tend to stick with one or two brands now so I know they'll fit.

At least no shipping for those.

Good luck-if your mom wears a particular brand that fits her well maybe you can find them online.

Be safe.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

I totally understand your frustrations. We are living in a different world & reality right now. 

I really miss “recreational” shopping. I love to go inside stores & roam around, but I just can’t do that right due to risk factors & my health issues. The only place I go is Walgreens to pick up a prescription. Usually, I use the drive thru, but sometines I go inside just to get out of the car! 🤣

My DH does all the grocery shopping by himself. Every week something we need is out of stock. I’m not talking about cleaning products which have been scarce since March. It might be flour one week, meat the next, then fruit, etc. It’s definitely hit and miss. While frustrating, I’m beginning to adjust to that reality. We have puchased some toiletries & other household items online that DH couldn’t find in stores here. 

Honored Contributor

I felt this way in back March. I think the OP is very patient or resilient or both to have made it this long before getting frustrated with the in-person shopping experience. (This is a compliment.)

I don't think the huge cathedrals to consumerism will ever be back again. But hopefully we will get something new and even better that we can't even imagine yet. We will find new and better ways to spend our time and attention.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio , thanks for your thread. It is a difficult time for everyone and I find comfort in reading a post like yours. Sometimes articulating how much this virus has changed our lives is necessary. 

Be well.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem with anyone expressing their thoughts and feelings especially if it helps them relieve stress. Rants can be good sometimes and most often, don't need to be challenged but a few kind words or similar experiences can be helpful. I just try to make do with what I have or what I can get. Do grocery pick up and have been for about 2 years. Now there are things that are not available and I understand that except when they had a limit on diet coke. Simpler meals since it is just me. Amazon is my best friend LOL. 

however you choose to deal with today's challenges just BE SMART AND BE SAFE. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

I’m sorry you are having such a hard time.

I have found that I can get almost everything I need by ordering online for delivery or pick-up. I might never go in a regular store to do my shopping again! I save a lot of time. Money, too. Not to mention no worries about social distancing or people not wearing masks. Once in a while something is out of stock but I either wait or get the item elsewhere. 

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio, I can offer a few suggestions re: your mask issues. To eliminate fogging, take a Kleenex and fold it along its crease, then fold it in half again. Fold it in half the other direction, and it should be about 2"x4". Place over the bridge of your nose, under your mask.

Re: sore throat, may be caused by the laundry detergent you're using. Many are highly fragranced, which is not good so close to our faces. Wash masks after each use in a fragrance-free soap and hang to dry. Also, once you're home, gargle with warm salt water or Listerine. A neti pot helps too.

Highly recommend Athleta everyday masks. Adjustable ear elastic and flat metal nose piece that's stitched in so it won't migrate. The fabric layers are very comfortable.

Also, if driving distance to stores is not an issue, try splitting into shorter errands rather than making a day-long trip. Even though that's what you enjoy in "normal" times, as you've found out, it's just frustrating now.

Hope this helps.