Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping is now a huge hassle

I've only been out to stores maybe 5 times since the middle of March.

My husband has done 100% of the grocery shopping since then and I don't know how he does it.

If I was alone and had to do it myself I would be using one of the shop from home grocery services.

I hate having to wear a mask, I start to feel like I'm suffocating and can't wait to get out of the store. 

It's easier for me to stay home, the few times I did go out it just wasn't fun at all.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1   I will vent and complain ALL I WANT TO....that said, every single event (mostly art shows)  that I typically do in the summer has been cancelled this year....I feel for those that sold at the art shows, every thing has been cancelled, and selling on line is not always easy. 

DH and I do get out, we eat out and occasionally hit the mall but do it just to get out and about...it certainly is no fun.

Esteemed Contributor

I go out regularly. Nothing I want is in short supply in the Phoenix area. I've gone to Costco, Dillard, Macy's, Target, Walmart, Kohl's, multiple grocery stores etc with no problems whatsoever. Except for Costco, most places are relatively empty. I did buy a bunch of pants and shorts from LL Bean recently because they were having a sale and I know they fit. I still enjoy shopping except I don't go out as often as I'd like because we are on day 40 (maybe more but who's counting) of over 110 degrees and I hate wearing a mask. After 10 minutes I'm taking it off and wiping down my face. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was surprised how fully stocked our Macy's is. I'm pretty sure they transferred merchandise from their stores that closed. 

Went to Sally beauty, and couldn't find any of the products I needed.
But things will eventually get better. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio   I understand! After several days inside I can't wait to get to a store. Then as soon as I'm there the proximity of people makes me hurry and move away. Then, I can't wait to get home. 
  I'm not buying new clothes unless absolutely necessary. I'm thinning closets of old things I never wear like Christmas sweaters, and cruise clothes. Shoes that hurt are going. I took 6 bags to the needy yesterday. 
  I always loved shopping. Then, bit by bit the big department stores closed and some were a long drive. 
  I'm not even looking forward to Christmas. I won't be with family anyhow. Will send cards with checks!

😢

Super Contributor

@MominohioWow! So sorry for your frustration, but honestly being so high risk, I'm just grateful that I'm still alive during this awful Pandemic.

I totally share your frustration regarding finding items, but I've been extremly happy shopping online with Belk, Amazon, Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, Target & other stores. If you know your size/manufacturer there are some great bargains to be had & most have 2 day free shipping so Win/Win!.

Costco & Sam's Club Senior Hours & Concierge services have been a God send because you just go online, choose your items & pick them up curbside no no indoor exposure.

I would highly reccomend checking out some of the online stores for items you need. Way safer & lots more options. Again if you know your size it really helps...most stores don't allow try ons during the pandemic, so there is no benefit for me to even go to a store now.

TC, please stay safe & healthy both you & your Mom & hope that you're able to find items you need online!

Honored Contributor

I pretty much agree about the masks.  It's really hot and difficult to breath in some of them.  Got a cloth mask from QVC, a litle better. 

I still haven't been to supermarkets since the pandeic started.  Just use Instacart.  I don't think I'll go back after theis thing is over (if it ever will) 

Trusted Contributor

You:

I could make a whole day of doing either necessary shopping or just for fun shopping

Also You:

I hate the reduced store hours. I like to get in at the crack of dawn and get out. Most here are opening much later now.

So which is it?  You like a whole day of shopping or you want to get in early and get out quickly??

You hate wearing a mask for a couple of hours of shopping inside, but you resent, with stated contempt,  those unhelpful clerks who are standing around uncomfortable in a mask ALL DAY for your safety.

Or you simply like complaining?

There's not a lot of inventory because so many people are staying home and not going into stores, staying safe, So stores are not stocking up. There is no point in stores stocking to the top if there are few shoppers in the stores buying. They are certainly grateful for your purchases, but not making enough money yet to invest in inventory. 

Merchants  adjusted the store hours to leave sufficient time to bring in cleaning crews to sanitize before/after the business day. In some places, sanitizing is mandated.  That protects you but adds expense to the store's obligations. If their overhead rises, their inventory has to stay low. 

Many employees now there to help are new. They lost their jobs elsewhere and took whatever they could get to have income; they come into work wearing a mask all day, perhaps as uncomfortably as you, but you get to leave the store.  New sales help have not yet become fully familiar with merchandise.

(How much help do you want to select and try on bras?  Do you commonly try a different bra style and size  each time you need to pick up a few new ones--you also expect help from a trained sales person to buy a new bra??? Ditto for shoes? What stores have help standing around to pull a shoe out of a box for you--shoe shopping has been self serve for quite a while, even in sporting goods stores? Buying sneakers is so much fashion you need a professsional to help?)

If you can get out to shop and like it enough to deal with soooo many negatives you have so preceisely identified, you should consider telling us about what you found that was worth buying! Let's hear some enthusiasm for those purchases! How many days you wait for your sore throat from mask-wearing to clear up before you venture out again? 

We all want to hear something positive. Especially those of us not going out, stuck ordering online for our known sizes and brands for things like underwear and leisure shoes. Help us to appreciate how your experiences are worth trying.

So far, I'm not in envy and yet my bra drawer is newly filled and I have enough shoes for someone mostly staying at home.

Respected Contributor

I stopped at the Walmart small grocery store this morning and didn't know they had blocked off the entrance in front so you had to walk to the other side. That's fine but I wouldn't have parked on the disabilty side I would have parked on the other side.

I kiddingly said to the girl out front oh I would have parked on the other side. She says well there's a sign on the barrier but you couldn't see the sign from the diabled parking. She says oh your right you must be new, I said no. She says well then you should have known about the sign! What!!! Wow won't be going back there. You don't talk back to a customer!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In life STUFF HAPPENS... what happens is  out of our or your control..... I see  this virus as a major inconvenience ... life is full of in conveniences... like having to have a colonoscopy or  a root canal... YOU JUST HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT .  It is how you deal with it that gets you through it.

In life there is no easy pass... no guarantees... so just take it day by day... try to see the good....and make mention of all the good things that happened that day. Do not worry about tomorrow.   Tomorrow will have its own set of rules...  more stuff to deal with.