Honored Contributor

Shopping is now a huge hassle

I used to enjoy shopping, especially grocery shopping. I could make a whole day of doing either necessary shopping or just for fun shopping. 

Since Covid struck, I've come to hate it. 

The first several months I only went to the grocery and Sam's Club, and even then, every other week at the most. 

Lately, I have been in more stores, as I have been trying to get some things I was lacking (was in desperate need of shoes for one thing) as well as things my mom was needing, and lately,  she has had to come along to try on some things (she needed shoes too! lol). 

I hate the masks, it's hot, fogs the glasses, and at points suffocating. I have a sore throat for days after extended mask wearing.

I hate the reduced store hours. I like to get in at the crack of dawn and get out. Most here are opening much later now.

I hate the lack of merchandise and choice. I even hate online shopping as some things are still hard to find even online. Orders simply don't come or are incomplete, orders are arriving damaged from rough handling (not buying canned goods online anymore, they keep coming beat up really bad!). 

I hate the lack of service. Good service and people knowledgeable about the products they are selling was hard to find pre Covid, even worse now. You are on your own trying to figure out the few products actually available. 

I had to get my mom out yesterday and get some things she needed, but she had to be there to choose. It was the most exhausting and frustrating day. Hit ******'s Sporting goods for tennis shoes for her (and me). The 12 year old working in the department had no clue what he was doing, they had limited sizes in everything, and he was as helpful as a wall. 

Next on to TJ Maxx, to look, so many bare racks and shelves there too. 

On to Macy's. What a disgrace. The store inventory looks to be at half or less what it was when I was last in there a couple of years ago. No help. One person covering multiple departments. Our entire mall was empty. I noticed some stores, like Christoper Banks, were not even open for business. Half the mall was empty store fronts, boarded up. 

Finish Line shoes next, and they were the most helpful we found all day, but still no prize. Each of us got a pair of shoes, price made me want to faint, but it is what it is if you want something right now. 

Grocery stores have lots of empty shelves here again (although nothing like the initial run at the beginning of this), mall is empty (literally most places) stores that notoriously overstock (TJ Maxx does that here) are so thin on merchandise, and huge gaps. Online is hit or miss, and shipping is taking forever for many, or things arrive damaged.

I've become increasingly aggravated with trying to shop for needed things and I'm to the point it just isn't worth it. I have managed to get us things we were needing (we both needed new bras, we were down to just two each) but between the online hunt and the exhausting store running (some things I just can't order online unless I already have the exact same thing, I need to try it on, same for my mom) for nothing, I've decided shopping just isn't worth it right now. 

There are a few more things I know my mom needs (like pants that she will have to go and try on) and I'm going to discourage her from even doing it at this time. We are essentially not going anywhere, so with the exception of something really dire, I'm done trying to find what doesn't exist, in places that just don't have stuff. 

Anyone else finding that certain things just aren't worth the effort and that you once found joy in doing, simply aren't at this time?

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping is now a huge hassle

I've found that complaining about most things usually 'falls on deaf ears'.  As you wrote, it's "just not worth the effort".  So I try to do the best I can with what resources are available.  And since I find myself with an abundance of time most days,  I try to do a thorough search of all resources. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio  Retailers, restaurants, gyms etc are closing permanenetly due to the economic crisis brought about by covid. Inventory is low because manufactoring jobs were so affected. Be thankful you have what choices you do have and appreciate it in good health. Pray you do not loose your family, your life your job, your home. Now is a time to be humble and have gratitude.

Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't pay to complain about things on this forum. Others seem to acknowledge it as unncecessary, so why bother.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio   Yes, I feel like you do, I have had the same/similar experinece as you detail.  My step daugher works for a large retail company and they are opening new stores in the south....I told DH to ask her where are they getting merchandise to stock the store with....in our area retail stores are bare as well as grocery store shelves.

Honored Contributor

I do most of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's.  They have a senior hour from 8AM-9AM.  Sometimes I go early and wait in line till they open.  But lately, I go at 8:30 and there is no line.  The biggest advantage is that everything is fully stocked at that hour.  What I hate most is putting the stuff away when I get back home!

Honored Contributor

I wear a mask for my own good, and the good of others, I use my mask when I am getting a manicure or my hair done, and when being seated outside for dinner.

I do not shop, my hubby does the food shoppings and do more and more things on lien these days

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I'm sorry things are frustrating. 

And I'm sorry some here can't show a bit of kindness (even if their points are valid).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who knew absolutely no venting was allowed here. I drove to pickup groceries yesterday at Walmart and their garden gates are closed so you can only go through the front doors. I saw all the plants and succulents and said a bad word because I so badly wanted to go in and grab some succulents. I'm not walking through the whole store to go to the garden section. I may go to the nursery today. I'm sick to death of doing nothing at all that I want to do. And Anyone who thinks they get to tell me to do better. I've truly gone nowhere but to the pharmacy to get cards for birthdays and do pickups for groceries and the vet and sat in the parking lot for months now. My daily walks are a godsend right now as are my husband and my puppies. 

Respected Contributor

I stopped considering shopping as recreation a long time ago....I am not fond of driving, parking where you hope someone won't hit/scratch your vehicle, fighting crowds when it is busy.

So much easier for me to shop online.  I started my grocery order online last night to pick up Friday....I can tweak it until midnight Thursday.  Love not having to go in the store.  

Clothing...I only buy online at a good sale price.  If I don't like it or it doesn't fit I pass it on to a family member or donate.  While I am hardly going anywhere, I don't need much in the way of new clothes.