Honored Contributor

Shopping in Stores on Black Friday

Now I have never shopped in stores on Black Friday and never will but today I saw a picture of Walmart inside.  People were wall to wall near the checkout.  I mean, people everywhere nearly touching.  The first thing I thought of are pick pockets.  They are probably out in full force.  I cannot be in crowds, I would get claustrophobic.  Anyone else like to stay clear of the stores on Black Friday?   

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopping in Stores on Black Friday

Shop in stores on Black Friday?  Neva eva.  Have not participated in that craziness since my kids were toddlers, and they’re in their 40’s now. I get the same prices online or on other days in stores when everyone else goes back to work!  And my kids and grandkids want cash/gift cards more than anything else. They like to pool their Christmas cash and buy a pricey item they really want. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Probably been at least 23 years since I last did it.  It was always a tradition for my husband, his parents and me to ALWAYS go to Roanoke, Va the day after Thansgiving to shop.  I think what really got to us was the last time we went it took us literally 45 minutes just to get off the parking lot.  So we are done with it.

Now you can shop from the convenience of your home with just your finger tips.  I sould like a commercial lol. 

Respected Contributor

My mother and I started at 4 am today. We went to Kohl’s, Ulta, Walmart, Sams Club, a local store specializing in gear for the local university, and Macy’s. We finished around 10. Not one store was overly crowded.
Honored Contributor

I haven't ever gone in those early morning frenzied hours, but I may go in a few minutes.  There's a mall less than 2 minuites from home, so I can turn around and go buy a few food items on the way back home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've shopped in stores on Black Friday for years and years. There have been crowds, but nothing over the top.

Except for the local gift shop I went to today. They had 40% off the entire store.  I walked in, made my way to the center of the store and couldn't move. People lined up, line snaking through the store to get to checkout. My claustrophobia kicked in and I left. 

We were at Target this morning at 6:55. They opened at 7:00. There were only 4 people outside waiting to get in. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I'm interested to learn that Black Friday is still a thing.  I thought momentum had shifted to Cyber Monday.  ... And that bricks-and-mortar stores had taken much of the air out of their own sails by pushing deals into the weeks before Thanksgiving.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in Target this morning around 9 and it looked like a normal day. Not crowded, parking was good as I was expecting to park in the back 40. Ordered my item online, picked it up and was in the store maybe 10 minutes.

Honored Contributor

There's never been anything I wanted bad enough to wait in long lines for it or be around a lot of people.

I'm a germ-a-phobe anyway.  I don't like people being too close (only strangers) and breathing on me.

With that in mind, you'd think you could eat off of my floors....Nah!  Doesn't work that way.

My house is clean but it's full of stuff!  I love talking to people but I don't like being around a lot of strangers so close they could touch me.

I remember when I worked and had to ride the bus to work.  People had strange smells (maybe what they smoked or ate).  THAT I really dislike.

Today, my friend and I were sitting at a table waiting for our food.  The manager came over and asked if we were doing well.  

She and I both gagged.  He'd been smoking a cigar.  The smell was strong.

I used to have a very strong sense of taste and smell.  As I've gotten older, it's not as good as it used to be.

Being around crowds the smells are not good.

No one ever talks about that.  I'm not so much talking about body odor, just smells.....

Esteemed Contributor

Why must people put others down, is it some kind of sport.  Don't like, don't understand, don't want to do something fine let others enjoy.  Have to wonder what these people would  say about the people on this board and the things you all think are fun

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.