Frequent Contributor

Re: Shopping for new glasses

I had an eye exam last week, my prescription did not change much.   However, since I have had my current glasses for over 2 years thought I would get a new pair.   The quote I was given was $600, this was after discounts.   I am on a fixed income, can't afford this price.   My Medicare plan does not cover glasses.  So will probably not be getting new glasses for a long time.

Esteemed Contributor

The frames I tried on in store were ordered on line late Wednesday night. They shipped today..

A friend has cute frames she ordered from Zenni. I think they are too large for her face and I would not want to have that same problem.

Respected Contributor

I've had my (trifocal) distance glasses for 4 years.  I also need some prism in my lenses because of my double vision.  When I purchased these at an optician's office, I paid no attention to price... I just tried on all the frames that I liked and chose the ones that were most comfortable.  Who knew they were Vera Wang and very pricey!!!  The glasses, with frames and lenses, cost me $830.  Never in my life had I paid that much for glasses.  However, it was worth it to me for the comfort.  (Ultra thin lenses too.)  And they have served me well for 4 years.  My "computer" glasses I bought from JC Penney for $99 and the vision just wasn't right.  To me, it's worth it to pay more.

I decided recently to purchase glasses again with my updated prescription.  (I see an optometrist for an eye exam and prescription.)  I went to a different optician because I couldn't find the one I had gone to previously.  Both my prescriptions (distance and computer) needed changing.  Now my two new pairs of glasses are going to cost $1,240!  I sure hope I get 4 years out of these, too!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I go to an Opthamologist and he just hands you a prescription.  In my case it's just IF I want to use it since he tells me readers really are fine for me.  He doesn't sell glasses/frames.

Honored Contributor

My glasses usually run between $800 and $1000.  The lenses alone are $500.  

I figure that since I have to wear glasses 24/7 that I'm getting the jazziest frames I can afford.

I'll bargain shop for clothes and shoes - but not for eyeglasses (or dentist, doctor, hearing aids, etc., etc.,)

Honored Contributor

@quilter61 wrote:

I had an eye exam last week, my prescription did not change much.   However, since I have had my current glasses for over 2 years thought I would get a new pair.   The quote I was given was $600, this was after discounts.   I am on a fixed income, can't afford this price.   My Medicare plan does not cover glasses.  So will probably not be getting new glasses for a long time.

@quilter61 try Walmart or Costco.  The only thing with Costco, I would not recommend the scratch resistant lenses - they are extremely hard to clean and keep clean and on my husbands the coating started chipping off.

Esteemed Contributor

Lenses are expensive, and there's not much you can do about that, especially if, like me, you do not have vision insurance. That is why I need to get the best possible price on my favorite frames. I am happy that I did not compromise on my preferred frame style and still saved $100.00, which will defray the cost of the lenses. I keep my glasses for at least 4 years.

Valued Contributor

It was time for me to get new glasses (had been at least 4 maybe 6 years since I had last bought a new pair (except for the single lens computer glasses) - well I paid around $870 for these at the Optician that is associated with my Eye Dr.

So this year I decided I would try someone else - ordered several pair of frames from Zenni (if you get just the Frame it's half the price that is shown on website) and tried each on, once I decided on the pair I liked I went to Costco to order lenses (since they accept my insurance) it was only $75.

Honored Contributor

When I was a little girl I had to wear glasses in the fourth grade. My father's insurance was from HIP, we went to an optometrist in NYC and the glasses were made there. Of course the frames I could pick from were the ugliest frames they had! My first pair of glasses were a blue cats eye frame, I hated them! 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 : Totally understand because I had the same frames. I was a handicapped kid with a very bad limp. I had extremely curly frizzie hair. The class bully never stopped. I hated school.