Respected Contributor

Re: Shopping at Aldi this morning was great!

ALDI and Lidl are NOT the same company, they are two separate corporations.

ALDI split up in 1960 into ALDI SUD (south) and ALDI NORD (north).  They each have their own distinct logo.      The ALDI stores in the US are owned by  ALDI SUD.   ALDI NORD owns Trader Joes.

Respected Contributor

Asparagus in glass jars were from China last I checked.  Salt at one point from China but when I checked last week, it was different.  I just get used to reading labels.  I also found my recent Aldi trip very pleasant.  I just needed to go slow enough to check both sides of aisles which are wide as customers go one direction.

Honored Contributor

It's now my favorite store. I bought two of everything when I was there so I will go back in June. The fresh meat counter isn't big but was well stocked. The salmon had my husband's name on it.

Respected Contributor

Fun fact:  do you know why Aldi cashiers can check out so quickly?  Notice bar codes on several sides of their products!  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I just took a look, and Instacart has Aldi as one of markets that I could order from. I'd never checked it out before. I was disappointed that all their brands are unfamiliar to me. That would not work, since I'm so attached to so many items from particular brands. I certainly will choose substitutes, but they are generally from either another brand I know or from a market's own brand, which I already familiar with. Oh, well.

@suzyQ3  The first time I went, I thought the same thing. Eventually I figured out what products where identical to the name brands I purchased elsewhere for 50% or more cheaper. I still purchase a few specific items because my family simply prefers that brand but being honest, we've found that Aldi items are the same or better than the brands I was purchasing before (especially the products that come from Germany). Try a few products and see .... or ask here about specific brands and what the Aldi version is. Smiley Happy

I'm glad that you like shopping there. Smiley Happy

Aldi's has been our go-to supermarket.

Because of the Pandemic, we have been shopping at another market that has earlier Senior/Vulnerable shopping hours.

People had been clearing out the shelves at our local Aldi's stores, but I would like to go back and check out the one that we mostly shop at, to see what it's like now.

Many people aren't aware that major food/product manufacturers produce private-label store brands. Smiley Happy

Editing to add that I really like their paper products, including their Willow brand of toilet paper, and their Boulder brand of paper towels and other paper products.

Their Willow brand of t.p. is similar in my opinion, to Scott toilet paper.

That type of toilet paper is better for our plumbing here because we have the low-flow/flush toilets here, and it doesn't clog like some of the more "plush" brands. Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy