Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping Experience at Safeway today Was Not Good

I've posted before, about my not so good shopping experiences at Safeway (and yes, it's fine for the OP to post about it here.  We post about many different shopping topics)

I did send an email about the last negative experience...and got no response.   I'll only shop at Safeway if there is something they sell there that I can't get anywhere else.  

My Lucky store is almost done with their expansion/remodeling, and a newer "whole foods" type store is breaking ground very near to my home.   I go to Trader Joe's once a week.  I don't need Safeway as much as they need me (and customers like me). 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I've posted before, about my not so good shopping experiences at Safeway (and yes, it's fine for the OP to post about it here.  We post about many different shopping topics)

I did send an email about the last negative experience...and got no response.   I'll only shop at Safeway if there is something they sell there that I can't get anywhere else.  

My Lucky store is almost done with their expansion/remodeling, and a newer "whole foods" type store is breaking ground very near to my home.   I go to Trader Joe's once a week.  I don't need Safeway as much as they need me (and customers like me). 

@september I used to shop at Lucky’s in LA but most of them disappeared down south. Each time I’ve been near one here, I haven’t been in grocery mode. My full grocery of choice in this area is Nob Hill, but I don’t always feel like making the trip to one of the nearest. TJ’s would be second. I’m stuck with Safeway for quickie trips. When I need to re-stock I aim for Nob Hill.

But I’m usually only purchasing drinks, fruit, desserts, bread and frozen for me, not the makings for full meals, since I’m not the cook. Now that I have a new Ninja Cooker, however, I will be buying other things.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

'Come to think about it'..........Meat departments in two chains in our area only have one plastic bag stand. 

What I usually (automatically) do is:  I enter the store on the side where the produce dept. is and gather up three or four plastic bags; keep them in my shopping cart and head for the meat/fish department.  'That way' I have the bags ahead of time.

As far as replenishing plastic bags, the meat dept. folks should keep an eye on those bag dispensers.  Our butchers are great and very helpful, and I'm guessing that ringing their bell and asking them to replenish the bags would be a good idea. 

O/P:  'Next time', ask to speak to the manager.  If you don't want to hold up customers standing in line, just go over to the manager's desk after you have left the checkout lane. 

Lots of good luck to you in the future.  Keep in mind that we all have to 'speak up'.  Correct the problem for others.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden my son was a Safeway checker...770 an hour partime but because he was a cashier he had to pay the highest rate of union dues.He worked part time while going to school and believe it or not sometimes those union dues were almost the whole paycheck.Safeway is not a great place for young people who don't make the wages of the oldtime employees.My son had to quit the job as he wasnt making any money.He went to a moving company and was paid well there.

Valued Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

You should email Safeway's corporate office. Terrible behavior by the cashier -- and plastic bags should be available.

Absolutely!  I would have already done it.  They can't fix things unless they know about them.

Me too @Kachina624, why come here to complain when the problem(S) could have been solved at the store before she left?

She's just venting -- as we all need to do from time to time. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@september I used to shop at Lucky’s in LA but most of them disappeared down south. Each time I’ve been near one here, I haven’t been in grocery mode. My full grocery of choice in this area is Nob Hill, but I don’t always feel like making the trip to one of the nearest. TJ’s would be second. I’m stuck with Safeway for quickie trips. When I need to re-stock I aim for Nob Hill.

But I’m usually only purchasing drinks, fruit, desserts, bread and frozen for me, not the makings for full meals, since I’m not the cook. Now that I have a new Ninja Cooker, however, I will be buying other things.

@Moonchilde. The nearest Nob Hill to me is going to become another Safeway!   As if we needed another one?! 

I used to love  this store.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3Eastern Nebraska has become very pro-recycling with plastics of all kinds. In order to encourage customers to recycle all plastic bags with the numbers 1-7 (I believe),  all grocery stores and many big box stores have recycling containers set up in the front of their stores. It's very, very convenient. Cannot imagine NOT recycling; we need to same our planet and the landfills. Those plastic materials do not deteriate for eons and are harmful to wildlife, birds and fish, etc. We have not left this planet better than we found it, have we? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@september

Seems like just when I found out that Nob Hill was even there, a few months ago, is when I read it was going to be something else, if I’m thinking of the right one. I go to either of the other two but the larger one is sort of a minor b***h for me to get home from. The slightly smaller is cool, but slightly farther, and...smaller.  Dang.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: It Re: Shopping Experience at Safeway today Was Not Good

wrote:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions..  it is good to see different view points of a situation.  I appreciate  all of them. Have a nice night!

I have to agree with everyone.  No store knows they have a problem unless they are told.  You wrote a nice, detailed explanation as to what happened.  I would take that explanation and send it to the store's headquarters.  And I would also put it out on FB. 

When social media gets involved, it seems the store listens.

Please don't just come her to get comments and suggestions, please put them into action.  You deseve some answers and the cashier deserves to be called out on it. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Around here Safeway is known for overcharging.  I don’t go there unless I have to, for several reasons.