Respected Contributor

I will no longer buy Crisco canola oil. They reduced the bottle from 48 to 40 ounces. The price at Walmart was $5.68 a bottle, the Great Value brand was $3.67 for 48 ounces. 

Honored Contributor

I think the biggest increase in things I buy is a  low fat mayo. A large jar use to cost $8.99... it went up to $12.99... Woman Surprised  it is the only low fat mayo that I like the taste of otherwise I would just buy another brand.... now I treat it like gold...

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I do my best to take the price increases in stride .... but I am really ... really ...  hopping mad about the price of paper towels!  Grrr.  Woman Surprised

@Tinkrbl44 - I know. I buy the 2 packs of Bounty triple roll. Yikes on the price.

@gidgetgh, @Tinkrbl44  if you have storage room check Amazon prices for larger quantities.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I have started buying the 500 count Walmart paper napkins and using them for napkins, tissues and paper towels. And guess what? For 95% of uses, it works. Just looking to get the job done; no need to impress anyone. Saves money and storage space.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping Cart Prices

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I do my best to take the price increases in stride .... but I am really ... really ...  hopping mad about the price of paper towels!  Grrr.  Woman Surprised

@Tinkrbl44 - I know. I buy the 2 packs of Bounty triple roll. Yikes on the price.

@gidgetgh   @Marp 

Just a heads up .....  Do you have the Kroger grocery stores in your area?   

Kroger is very good about providing the best quality possible of all their generic products.  Last week I was looking at their paper towels.  I've bought their two versions before, but this week I noticed something I'd never seen before.

The Kroger paper towels with the red & green labels on the packaging say "compare to Brawny".

The Kroger paper towels with the blue & green labels say "compare to Bounty".    

I'm now using their Bounty generic .... and it's pretty darn close, IMO.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gidgetgh   @Marp 

Just a heads up .....  Do you have the Kroger grocery stores in your area?   

Kroger is very good about providing the best quality possible of all their generic products.  Last week I was looking at their paper towels.  I've bought their two versions before, but this week I noticed something I'd never seen before.

The Kroger paper towels with the red & green labels on the packaging say "compare to Brawny".

The Kroger paper towels with the blue & green labels say "compare to Bounty".    

I'm now using their Bounty generic .... and it's pretty darn close, IMO.

@Tinkrbl44 - thanks. I've used the Kroger paper towels before, especially during holiday season when they had adorable patterns on them. Maybe I'll check them out again. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Talking about paper towels, Bounty is simply the best imo.  I've started buying store brands to use for general wipe-ups and save the Bounty for my windows, mirrors, or heavier jobs.  This saves quite a bit of money.  I don't like Costco's Kirkland brand, but Wal-Mart's Great Value dupe is pretty good.

And for napkins, again...Bounty is king, but Costco's Kirkland brand is a pretty good dupe.  I like them better than the Wal-Mart dupe, and they are cheaper.

Tall kitchen bags?  Costco's house brand is HALF the price of Wal-Mart's Great Value brand when comparing cost per bag.  And you know Wal-Mart's brand is cheaper than Glad bags.

Valued Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I have started buying the 500 count Walmart paper napkins and using them for napkins, tissues and paper towels. And guess what? For 95% of uses, it works. Just looking to get the job done; no need to impress anyone. Saves money and storage space.

I only use cloth napkins so it never occurred to me to buy them for other reasons 

like tissues ! When these tissues run out, that is exactly what I will do. I don't go to Walmart but I can have them delivered for about $3.50 each 500.....THANK YOU !

Honored Contributor

Groceries?  Nursing home prices went up 18 percent.  We'll pay through the grace of God.  

Respected Contributor

@Danky2   They're not soft. If you catch a cold with a runny nose, you'll need something better. If you knock over the milk, grab a towel. But it's amazing how many daily uses they're good enough for.