Honored Contributor

Shop HQ Selling At-Home Covid Tests

I noticed yesterday afternoon that Shop HQ was selling at-home Covid tests.  I started to watch some of the presentation by the host, Melissa Miner.

First of all, I was dumbfounded by the cost of the tests.  They are sold in a 5 pack for $119.99 plus s/h of $10.99.  That comes to about $26.00 per box.  However, there is only 1 test per box.  The ones I have seen in our local drugstores are less money per box and there are 2 tests per box.  I didn't watch much of the presentation but I do wonder why the odd number of boxes?  The 2 at-home tests I have purchased indicated you are supposed to test once and then test again in 36 hours.     

Second of all, the host mentioned using these prior to traveling, including cruising.  Unless this test is a telehealth test kit, which isn't specified on the product page, it will not be accepted for cruising.  And unless you are fully vaccinated, a telehealth kit isn't accepted at all for cruising.  

The hosts should be telling people to check requirements, regardless of their travel method, rather than selling these kits as if they know they are accepted for all forms of travel.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Shop HQ Selling At-Home Covid Tests

Shame on Shop HQ. That just seems wrong on alot of levels. Not to mention that I would never turn my covid health over to a TV Shopping Channel.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Selling the kits isn't wrong or shameful, it's no different than any other product for sale...do your research & know what you're buying..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've recent heard on the news that are many fraudulent test kits on the market.  With this company's questionable ethics, it's the last place I'd buy something like this.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

Insurance companies will soon start covering at-home COVID-19 test kits.

Jan. 11, 2022 10:05 a.m. PT

at-home-rapid-test-kit-covid-19-2022-cnet-shortage-find002

Insurance companies will begin covering the cost of at-home rapid COVID-19 tests on Jan. 15

COVID-19 test kits will be available for free starting on Saturday, when the Biden administration will start requiring insurance companies to reimburse members. 

The White House announced Monday that insurers must reimburse the cost of eight at-home COVID-19 tests per covered individual each month. To incentivize carriers to cover the tests upfront, the mandate allows them to establish in-network pharmacies and cap coverage of out-of-network retailers at $12 per test.

SOURCE:  Cnet dot com. CDC & WHO dot com

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  Based on what I've read here about this sketchy company, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Honored Contributor

Super expensive, something like 5 for $119.  I don't see the point, no one who requires testing accepts the results.  If I was exposed or thought I had Covid, I'd quarantine myself for 5 days, maybe 7.  Symptoms or not.  The hosts and shopping channels are interested in making sales.  I appreciate that they are selling masks and testing kits but it is the responsibility of customers to know what the Covid rules are.  

Esteemed Contributor

I read the news about insurers having to pay for tests. The idea sounds good, but I have a feeling that it won't go as smoothly as planned. I wouldn't be surprised to see insurance companies raise their rates because of this. Medicare and Medicaid isn't included, only private insurers. 

There should be a government website later this month where one can order tests. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

My state is mailing tests out for free. You just have to request them. they are the rapid tests but they are free for the asking.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The $11 for shipping is what would totally keep me from buying.