QVC Customer Care

Re: Shooting at UNC Charlotte

Honored Contributor

To those saying stuff like this didn't happen in the past, it did, just not as frequently. What happens when the population grows (320 million more or less now as opposed to 150 million in 1950) the frequency of violence grows. Back then those with mental health issues were often identified and institutionalized. These days they're often medicated and turned loose only to stop taking their meds. Violence wasn't celebrated then. Commit a crime and you became an outcast. These days it's more accepted and in some cases even honored.

Mumia Abu-Jamal is something of a cult hero in the Philly area for murdering a cop. Few deny he murdered the cop (Officer Daniel Faulkner) but claim that because the police in general and prosecutors were racist back then that it was okay and he should be set free.

Those who commit mass shootings often get way more attention than they deserve. They get a level of fame they don't deserve.

Probably more homeowners owned guns in the fifties (percentage wise anyway) than do now but respect for others was more prevalent. Violence is largely celebrated in movies, videogames, and even TV these days. The lack of respect for others with differing views is largely gone now. (At least in social media.) Those who agree with you are right. Those who disagree are blithering idiots and deserve to die. There's no middle ground these days. There's no flexibility in views.

People who think new laws will solve the problem have to explain how those who break dozens of laws to commit these crimes won't break one more to get a gun illegally. Is a gun control law so much more effective and powerful than a law against murder? A recent poll of felons in prison for gun crimes found that 96-98% acquired their guns illegally. They're already breaking the law to get a gun to commit crimes. Oh, but there won't be guns around. There will be guns around no matter what law is passed. Guns have been made since the 1200's. With modern technology a small workshop can churn out dozens of guns a day. Look at the gun markets in Pakistan where gunsmiths create replicas of pretty much every weapon made in very crude conditions with somewhat pirmitive tools. You don't think motivated people here couldn't do that?

There is no magic answer. NJ recently passed law limiting the size of a clip in a weapon to ten rounds. Now most police officers can't carry their duty weapon with them off the job as those weapons typically have clips of twelve or more rounds. They have to secure their gun in a locker before they log out or they could be arrested for carrying an illegal weapon. Was the law designed to disarm our off duty police officers? No, it's just that the idiots writing the new law didn't have a clue how things work in the real world.

There is no magic answer. People who think they have one are only fooling themselves. Humans are by nature somewhat predatory. It's part of who we are. Most of us keep that contained. But think of how you feel when you finally swat a fly that's been bugging you for a while, buzzing over and around you and just annoying the heck out of you. You may have swung and missed multiple times, then when you finally connect, do you mourn the dead fly? No. There's joy. "I finally got you!" That's the predator in you coming out. It's in all of us. "But that's just a fly." To some out there we're all just annoying flies. They value us no more than they do a fly. Until that changes these shootings will continue.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  Very well written and spot-on.   

Esteemed Contributor

I am always amazed that no one states the obvious- it is usually a male.  Why is that?  

Honored Contributor

Our local news covered this latest shooting on the evening news.

As far as Charles Whitman and the Texas tower shooting, he saw multiple doctors for his anger-and told one that he wanted to shoot people from that very tower.  The doctor did nothing, told no one.  Whether the mandated reporting was in place in 1966, I have no idea.

The ball was dropped with Whitman; not just with the doctors who medicated him but even those involved with him while he was a Marine.  He also left a diary in which, among other things, he wrote that he couldn't stand for his wife and mother to see his failures. 

Charles Whitman murdered his wife and his mother before heading to that tower.  Shades of Sandy Hook.

Unstable mindsets are obviously an important factor; but the constant spewng out of misinformation and unfounded hatred in the media is pushing some of these disturbed individuals to take matters into their own hands.

We are an exploding population but look at the incremental factor of those numbers compared to the number of shootings. 

People get angry; we all get upset over "stuff".  But the unstable mind magnifies  that "stuff" and seeks relief through violence.

It isn't a cut and dried situation; we cannot just put everyone suffering from mental illness on a shelf with the usual generic label of "mentally ill".

People have stopped listening to each other; we argue and right-fight, we hang onto the words of "those in the know" without investigating facts on our own.

It's easier to listen to the garbage spewed out because it's an outlet for our own misery and unhappiness; we use it to justify as to why we are unhappy instead of taking inventory of our own flaws.

Much easier to sit and listen to somebody else telling us why we should be unhappy, why we should be afraid, why we should hate, why, why, why-letting others run our perceptions of the world and our own lives instead of taking the reins and working out our own ****** by taking responsibility for what we can change and accepting what we cannot change.

Many people are angry for the wrong reasons; and they use anything to justify the anger and to justify why they do what they do.

I agree that mental health care needs a major overhaul;  but  the stigma of being mentally ill remains today.

We need to be cautious; I don't want to see people being forced to be locked up again when adequate counseling, follow-up, and medications for those conditons that require it can be enough sometimes.

Most of all, we need to be kind to those dealing with some type of mental illness, to be the type of person to listen, just listen to a person hurting mentally, spiritually, physically-all factor one way or another.

The solution is not one-sided; and that is why every single time this happens, we send thoughts and prayers, express our outrage, then move along with our own lives.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I am always amazed that no one states the obvious- it is usually a male.  Why is that?  

I did state that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

We are the only civilized country that refuses to address the obvious!! 

@NicksMom 

And the obvious is?

hckynut

@hckynut    Guns don’t kill people. Crazy unstable people with guns kill people.Therefore, common sense would dictate that we need to pass laws to keep the crazy unstable people from getting them,period!!

Laws cannot keep criminals from getting them illegally now.  How are you planning on identifing "crazy, unstable people".

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

We are the only civilized country that refuses to address the obvious!! 

@NicksMom 

And the obvious is?

hckynut

@hckynut    Guns don’t kill people. Crazy unstable people with guns kill people.Therefore, common sense would dictate that we need to pass laws to keep the crazy unstable people from getting them,period!!

Laws cannot keep criminals from getting them illegally now.  How are you planning on identifing "crazy, unstable people".

We are the only civilized country with the problem.Our leaders have to figure out a way to make it more difficult for people to obtain weapons.They also have to crack down on the trafficking of illegal weapons.
  How they do it is up to them.They ran for office & made all sorts of promises about keeping us safe. They ought to live up to their obligations.
That’s all I’m going to say on the matter.We all have our opinions & are not about to change our minds.So we’re going to have to agree to disagree.
Have a  safe day!!

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Our local news said he was a student.

My prayers are with the families who lost a loved one, and the ones who are recovering.

DS is starting finals at a large university far from us. I can't help but worry. 

Our news reports he is a former UNCC student--dropped out last year.  I've also read some reports saying he is autistic.  

As a mom of a college student, I understand your concern @beach-mom. I pray for the safety of our students.

Super Contributor

I'm from Charlotte and graduated from UNC Charlotte....definitely a sad time....thoughts and prayers to my 49ers family!