Respected Contributor

Re: Shooting at UNC Charlotte

@cherry wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  it is the mix that is different. In churches ,and elementary level education you have a mix of people. They might not have had  the opportunity for  higher learning, and some might not had had much educational opportunity at all

Education is supposed to teach you how to think and reason. At university level all of the people attending are at least at a certain  level of education. I would expect  a different mindset  from people who are smart enough to understand the dangers of guns. They can read statistics and how guns just perpetuate violence

The people involved in the homicide  my daughter was witness to, were not outsiders,  they were students

Your last two paragraphs sound contradictory.   You state university level people are smart enough to know the dangers of guns, yet your daughter witnessed violence among the students.

Education does not erase insanity.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RoughDraft  insanity seems to be at epidemic levels..Yes it was students ,and I find that shocking. This was at least 20  plus years ago

I am old fashioned perhaps, but , this kind of thing was a rare occurance  in my youth. I can only recall 1 episode at a university  bell tower and the nation was horrified and shocked

We are still horrified, but, I doubt that anyone is shocked,  in this day and age. They were back then

Respected Contributor

@cherry  Whether it's insanity, sociopathy, drugs, the ease of obtaining firearms and making them even more lethal,  people losing the ability to disagree rationally or a combination of some or all of the above, none of us seem to have a solution that the country as a whole is willing to deal with.

Yes, I too remember the Texas bell tower shootings.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Malcontent wrote:

It’s not the inanimate object, it’s the human.

It's the human with access to the inanimate object.

@QueenDanceALot 

So true.  Just sitting there in the safe, or in the factory, they don't do any damage at all.

My home state, So SAD.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RoughDraft   I don't know what happened, but we are a far different country than the one I grew up in. People had guns when I was young, but, they didn't act like they do today

All of my uncles were hunters ,and so was my dad. I never saw a gun out of the case in my life

I have never touched one, and we don't even have any

Guns were treated with respect

Today it's the wild west.  People have changed ,and so have guns, and not for the better

Respected Contributor

@cherry back then no one owned a military style assault weapon either. Now they are everywhere and easily accessed by 19 year olds
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina  I know ,and it is even worse than you think. My hairdresser is a wonderful young woman

She told me in a horrified manner, that her bro and sil bought their  11 or 12 year old some huge gun, so big he could never fire it, because he liked it. I think it is  some sort of assault weapon

They also got him cans of snuff, I think it was?  They got that for him, because her husband uses it ,and he liked it

I don't know what family the brother was raised in ,because none of his siblings, or either parent are like that. They were all disgusted and mad at him for this

Honored Contributor

I honestly think that the ever present Internet and cable television gives people ideas.
Honored Contributor

I won't post the link but the Daily Mail has an article up with the shooter's name/photo.  You always have to take DM articles with a grain of salt because what they achieve in speed they lose in upfront fact checking but it looks like a lot of it is legitimate.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

It’s not just major cable stations not carrying it...

apparently local North Carolina stations aren’t carrying it.

7B77E9F8-5ABE-4206-96AF-316947B0CFC8.jpeg

I don't know about/who are the other affiliates in that area but WCNC which I believe is the NBC affiliate down there has been broadcasting live.  I ran across their Twitter feed, that's how I found this about an hour ago.

I caught it on WBTV which is the CBS affiliate.