Honored Contributor

Re: Shooting Near El Paso, Texas Mall

The issue stems from mentally unstable/ sick  people allowed to be loose in society...and the easy access to guns.  Guns do not kill....people  kill.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

...but removing assault rifles is the IMMEDIATE first step.

Everyone dances around the ‘all’ guns angle but....

I see a very large, important amendment altered in my lifetime.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The issue stems from mentally unstable/ sick  people allowed to be loose in society...and the easy access to guns.  Guns do not kill....people  kill.

So true. Now everyone, no matter how dangerous and unstable have "rights" and cannot be forced to get help. Years ago even our local small hospital had a psych ward (2D) now people wander the streets. Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I fear it is too late to stop this,  it has been happening for over 20 yrs.  it just gets worse.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

You also have people literally making it easier for mentally ill people with documented history of that illness to possess guns and to obtain them. And blocking any attempt at reforming that. That's a fact.

Not all people who do these shootings are mentally ill. Some do it in the name of "ideology". 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, one does not have to be a raving lunatic to be unstable enough to want to shoot others and cause them harm.  Very often it is the "one bad moment" in which someone becomes furious enough to want to cause bodily injury -- and has access to firearms -- that spells disaster for others as well as the shooter. 

We cannot guarantee anything in this life, of course, but helping to maintain the equilibrium of each and every person who relates to the world is an impossibility.  We can try to provide more mental health help and do background checks, but that approach has its limits of success.  What isn't impossible is limiting the number and types of firearms available to society at large.  

Once again, the U.S. is looked upon with pity by those wise and cautious enough to limit firearm availability.  

This is an American tragedy and shame.

Honored Contributor

An AK47 is a weapon of war. No one needs one other than law enforcement and military.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

@JaneMarple  I hate to say it, but ,I don't think it will, in the near future. We used to have to worry about the Atomic bomb, now it is getting shot...places you used to feel safe ,like churches ,are no longer safe havens from people with grudges and guns

@cherry @JaneMarple   Oh I wouldn't take the bomb off the table just yet. . . a small dirty bomb in a city.

And I wish we would never lower the flag except for death of POA.  It needs to fly high always as a symbol that we will come after the people responsible for any acts of violence.  And we should do it. 

Valued Contributor

Suspect in custody - 21 year old

Esteemed Contributor

Based on some the posts maybe we should start locking up every man, woman and child until it can be proven they will never be a threat to society. 

At some point nearly everyone will suffer at least one episode that qualifies as a classifiable mental disorder.

No wonder people with mental illness from depression to full blown psychosis avoid seeking help even when it is available.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.