Honored Contributor

Re: Shooting Near El Paso, Texas Mall

[ Edited ]

Hm....thinking of earlier mass shootings.  The one that comes to mind was a horrific one in the mid 1960's   Univesity of Texas tower shootings.  One shooter, Charles Whitman killed 14 people and injured 31 people in the span of  96 minutes.  Took the police a long time to find him.  Just one rifle was used.   Here's the date 8/1/66 

Another one that stands out was the mass shooting of children in Scotland.  16 children and 1 teacher dead.  march 1996.  All (I think from one kindergarten class)

Finally there was the Ecole Polytechnic Institute massacre in Canada.  In 1989. 14 women were killed (All targeted were only women)  1 man did the killings. 10 more women were injured.  Man said he was "fighting Feminism"

Trusted Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The issue stems from mentally unstable/ sick  people allowed to be loose in society...and the easy access to guns.  Guns do not kill....people  kill.

People with guns kill.

It is no longer an  issue of blaming mental illness for every act of violence.  There is an epidemic of hate escalating in this country. It needs to be called out and called what it is. Terrorism. Not mental illness.  Terrorism.

Hatred has existed since man has existed.

Now, we have a 24-hour news cycle that celebrates it.

You just think there has been an escalation.  No.  You just hear about it more.

@alarmclock 

We've had mass shootings going on in this country on an almost daily basis before the news reported it?

SMH.

Quick.  Tell me the first time we had a mass shooting.

Can you do that?

Probably not because you do not remember how long ago it happened.

It's been decades.  Like over forty years ago.

A man shot up a McDonald's.  That was the first time it "made the news" and it was well before the 24 hour channels we now have.

What do you need to have explained?  

Where is the list??

Check the two links upthread.

Trusted Contributor

@bathina wrote:
I surely hope not @goldensrbest. I hope we never get to a place where everyone knows a victim of a mass shooting. It breaks my heart to hear my grandson question whether his desk at school will stop bullets.

I know a young boy that is getting a GED so he does not have to go to a school building.  

Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@alarmclock 

The debate of how people were raised, or if they are on drugs, have mental health issues, or if they are encouraged by social media does not address deal with the significant issue of HOW this mass killing is being carried out.

We live in a supposedly developed society, as such, this is not acceptable no matter why.

We are not the only developed society that has issues.  

Wow, that's profound.

Isn't it?

Your attempt at sarcasm is laughable.

Trusted Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@bathina wrote:
I'm still waiting for the list of all those other countries with a mass shooting problem. I'm patient though.

You can go online but here you go.  I think you have forgotten about the shooting in Norway.  That was a big one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shooting#By_continent_and_region

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks

From the Wikipedia  article you linked:

The United States has had more mass shootings than any other country in the post-WWII era.

And?

Posters on here think the US is the only place where it happens.

That was the point.  Sorry, you missed it.

Honored Contributor

Have a good rest of your day everyone.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The issue stems from mentally unstable/ sick  people allowed to be loose in society...and the easy access to guns.  Guns do not kill....people  kill.

People with guns kill.

It is no longer an  issue of blaming mental illness for every act of violence.  There is an epidemic of hate escalating in this country. It needs to be called out and called what it is. Terrorism. Not mental illness.  Terrorism.

Hatred has existed since man has existed.

Now, we have a 24-hour news cycle that celebrates it.

You just think there has been an escalation.  No.  You just hear about it more.

@alarmclock 

We've had mass shootings going on in this country on an almost daily basis before the news reported it?

SMH.

Quick.  Tell me the first time we had a mass shooting.

Can you do that?

Probably not because you do not remember how long ago it happened.

It's been decades.  Like over forty years ago.

A man shot up a McDonald's.  That was the first time it "made the news" and it was well before the 24 hour channels we now have.

What do you need to have explained?  

@alarmclock 

I don't need to have anything explained.

I asked you a question.  You didn't answer it.  That's because you don't have one.

I did not understand your question because there wasn't one.

Ending a statement with a question mark is not a question.

@alarmclock 

I certainly did ask a question, post #63. (And I ended it with a question mark)

You have not answered it.

Honored Contributor

Not quite sure how "developed" we are anymore 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@alarmclock 

The debate of how people were raised, or if they are on drugs, have mental health issues, or if they are encouraged by social media does not address deal with the significant issue of HOW this mass killing is being carried out.

We live in a supposedly developed society, as such, this is not acceptable no matter why.

We are not the only developed society that has issues.  

Wow, that's profound.

Isn't it?

Your attempt at sarcasm is laughable.

Your attempt at proving no escalation of mass shootings in this country is pathetic.

Honored Contributor

There have been more mass shootings than days in 2019

BY JASON SILVERSTEIN

JULY 31, 2019 / 5:16 PM / CBS NEWS

[Today's tragedy was, of course, not included in this story filed on July 31, 2019.]

The number of mass shootings across the U.S. so far in 2019 has outpaced the number of days this year, according to a gun violence research group. This puts 2019 to be the first year since 2016 with an average of more than one mass shooting a day.

As of Wednesday, which is the 212nd day of the year, there have been 248 mass shootings in the U.S., according to data from the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive, which tracks every mass shooting in the country. The Gun Violence Archive defines a mass shooting as any incident in which at least four people were shot, excluding the shooter.

The toll of 248 mass shootings includes several high-profile rampages in the past week alone, such as the shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival on Sunday in the San Francisco Bay Area, which led to three deaths and 15 injuries; a shooting at a Brooklyn block party, which caused one death and 11 injuries; and a shooting at a Walmart in Southaven, Mississippi on Tuesday, which killed two people and injured two more.

The deadliest mass shooting so far this year was an attack at a municipal building in Virginia Beach, in which a former city employee killed 12 people and injured four.

The Gun Violence Archive says there have been 32,387 total shooting incidents so far in 2019 as of Wednesday, resulting in 8,533 deaths and 16,945 injuries.

The last time the mass shooting toll topped days of the year was 2016, which had 382 mass shootings — the most in any year since the Gun Violence Archive started keeping track. The past two years came close, with 346 mass shootings in 2017 and 340 in 2018.

The Gun Violence Archive did not return requests for comment from CBS News.