Respected Contributor

Re: Shooting Near El Paso, Texas Mall

@alarmclock wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The issue stems from mentally unstable/ sick  people allowed to be loose in society...and the easy access to guns.  Guns do not kill....people  kill.

People with guns kill.

It is no longer an  issue of blaming mental illness for every act of violence.  There is an epidemic of hate escalating in this country. It needs to be called out and called what it is. Terrorism. Not mental illness.  Terrorism.

Hatred has existed since man has existed.

Now, we have a 24-hour news cycle that celebrates it.

You just think there has been an escalation.  No.  You just hear about it more.

@alarmclock 

We've had mass shootings going on in this country on an almost daily basis before the news reported it?

SMH.

Quick.  Tell me the first time we had a mass shooting.

Can you do that?

Probably not because you do not remember how long ago it happened.

It's been decades.  Like over forty years ago.

A man shot up a McDonald's.  That was the first time it "made the news" and it was well before the 24 hour channels we now have.

What do you need to have explained?  

Where is the list??

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

I surely hope not @goldensrbest. I hope we never get to a place where everyone knows a victim of a mass shooting. It breaks my heart to hear my grandson question whether his desk at school will stop bullets.
Trusted Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The issue stems from mentally unstable/ sick  people allowed to be loose in society...and the easy access to guns.  Guns do not kill....people  kill.

People with guns kill.

It is no longer an  issue of blaming mental illness for every act of violence.  There is an epidemic of hate escalating in this country. It needs to be called out and called what it is. Terrorism. Not mental illness.  Terrorism.

Hatred has existed since man has existed.

Now, we have a 24-hour news cycle that celebrates it.

You just think there has been an escalation.  No.  You just hear about it more.

@alarmclock 

We've had mass shootings going on in this country on an almost daily basis before the news reported it?

SMH.

Quick.  Tell me the first time we had a mass shooting.

Can you do that?

Probably not because you do not remember how long ago it happened.

It's been decades.  Like over forty years ago.

A man shot up a McDonald's.  That was the first time it "made the news" and it was well before the 24 hour channels we now have.

What do you need to have explained?  

@alarmclock I was in first grade in the 60's when I heard from Walter Cronkite about the nursing students shot to dearh in Texas!

You just proved my point.

Walter was not on CNN.

Trusted Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@alarmclock 

The debate of how people were raised, or if they are on drugs, have mental health issues, or if they are encouraged by social media does not address deal with the significant issue of HOW this mass killing is being carried out.

We live in a supposedly developed society, as such, this is not acceptable no matter why.

We are not the only developed society that has issues.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Honored Contributor

@alarmclock 

Where is the list of almost daily mass shootings that happened prior to the "24 hour news cycle" started reporting them?

Esteemed Contributor

It is going to get to the point you won’t be able to go anywhere with a backpack or these huge handbags that are so popular these days. You will only be able to carry a small bag that holds your wallet or credit cards, phone and keys. 

Respected Contributor

Seriously with that "list". There is no country on that list with multiple mass shootings monthly or even annually. Please. Thanks for proving my point.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@alarmclock 

The debate of how people were raised, or if they are on drugs, have mental health issues, or if they are encouraged by social media does not address deal with the significant issue of HOW this mass killing is being carried out.

We live in a supposedly developed society, as such, this is not acceptable no matter why.

We are not the only developed society that has issues.  

Wow, that's profound.

Honored Contributor

@alarmclock  you're blaming anyone and anything that suits your purpose, automatic weapons have no place in a civilized society! The news is the news regardless of what era it comes from! CNN did not invent mass killings.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson