Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,508
Registered: ‎05-09-2023

Re: Shooting At Super Bowl Parade

Who needs a dog whistle when you have a clanging bell that EVERYONE can hear?

Pathetic.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,417
Registered: ‎06-29-2016

Re: Shooting At Super Bowl Parade

 

Clang, clang, clang went the trolley!


Ding, ding, ding went the bell!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,541
Registered: ‎04-04-2015

Re: Shooting At Super Bowl Parade

So interesting how killers must be protected.  No criticism allowed.  When victimologies collide, let's shift the blame.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,712
Registered: ‎04-16-2022

Re: Shooting At Super Bowl Parade

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

The media has protected the identity of minors charged with crimes since time immemorial, I believe it's the law and they would be in very big trouble if they didn't. There's no conspiracy here.

 

As for that young boy I wouldn't call him racist, I'd say it's at the very least quite strange that his parents think that's cute. Probably attention seeking. There are many ways to display your fandom without that.

 

I respect Native American culture and the fact that they were and are the first Americans.


I would not be shocked to learn that they suggested it. 

“If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” -Mark Twain
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,085
Registered: ‎01-06-2015

Re: Shooting At Super Bowl Parade

[ Edited ]

Using a picture of a child dressed as a Native American is sure shifting the blame. So are all the shifting the blame comments in threads about mass shootings. If only half the outrage existed in those threads about mass shootings as the outrage here about the media (and just ignoring the fact that it's the law that they have to do that).

Conspiracy theories run amok.

That picture of the child made me think of a news story I saw about two white teenage girls who walked around in a Sephora using makeup to do blackfaces on themselves. I seriously question what kind of moral vacuum of homes they are growing up in, and why they think that's funny or ok.

If I had kids they would have been taught about racism by me, and if they did something like that well there would be holy heck to pay.

I also would never have let them dress up as Native Americans, and would have educated them about respecting their culture and their status as THE original Americans. And how they were and are treated regardless of that FACT.

Some mass shooters have been selectively protected, even by police and courts. I believe it was the one who shot the African Americans at the Bible study in their church who was coddled by police officers, they stopped for food for him and treated him like he had committed a petty crime. There are other examples.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,508
Registered: ‎05-09-2023

Re: Shooting At Super Bowl Parade


@paixmcdao wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

The media has protected the identity of minors charged with crimes since time immemorial, I believe it's the law and they would be in very big trouble if they didn't. There's no conspiracy here.

 

As for that young boy I wouldn't call him racist, I'd say it's at the very least quite strange that his parents think that's cute. Probably attention seeking. There are many ways to display your fandom without that.

 

I respect Native American culture and the fact that they were and are the first Americans.


I would not be shocked to learn that they suggested it. 


One sports outlet (Deadspin?????) ran a story about this kid, who wore the face paint at a game last year. Who knew? The parents of the kid are now suing Deadspin, so I'm sure the entertainment alternative news is  making hay with it. 4 months later.

Way to take something obscure and conflate it with a deadly shooting to call attention to your own biases. 

 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,685
Registered: ‎03-22-2012

Re: Shooting At Super Bowl Parade


@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

Saw this on social media ..

 

If you're a mass shooter at a Kansas City Chiefs parade, the media protects your identity because you're "under 18."

 

If you're a fan in face paint at a Kansas City Chiefs game, the media tries to ruin your life, calling you a racist at 9 years old.

 

Image


The Covington kids were another example of underage kids who got attacked and their names were widely circulated by the media and authorities.

 

In the case of the KC parade shooting it was two (likely more) minority kids who did the shooting, so everyone protects them. They won't even mention which gangs were involved. And I'm sure they know which gangs were involved. If an "event" for lack of a better word, doesn't fit the current narrative, it gets shelved quickly and they all move on. "Nothing to see here. Move along." Let it fit a preferred narrative though, and its headlines news for days/weeks/months. 

 

This was a golden opportunity to raise the issue of gang violence and to look for steps to take to prevent it in the future, but gang violence isn't a preferred topic now, so the story gets dropped once they realize that's what happened.

 

Gangs make their money through the illegal drug trade, prostitution, theft, etc. If you do an online search for "Gangs and the drug trade" you'll come across a DOJ website called "Drugs and Gangs, Fast Facts" that details the issues. They use kids as they know the kids are unlikely to do hard time when/if they get caught. Many of the more "modern" prosecutors largely ignore drug crimes and also the other crimes committed by gangs. That just lets the gangs get larger and more powerful. It's not a good situation. And it's only going to get worse unless someone in power confronts the issue. And no one currently in power seems interested in doing so. 


@gardenman The possibility that the kids were minorities isn't the reason their identities are protected by law officials, it's because they are minors. Believe it or not, Black and Brown kids are entitiled to the same protections as white kids.🙄


Not sure I follow your point.  It's been pointed out that white kids are not only not protected but viliified in the press - even at 9 years old - much younger than the kids here.


My point is that this kid wasn't outed by law enforcement, they were photographed and their photo was shared through social media. Two totally different things, but you know that. There is too much data showing the disparity in treatment of Black and Brown kids vs. White kids to even share here, it's well documented. Too many "promising young men" to count.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,257
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Shooting At Super Bowl Parade

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Using a picture of a child dressed as a Native American is sure shifting the blame. So are all the shifting the blame comments in threads about mass shootings. If only half the outrage existed in those threads about mass shootings as the outrage here about the media (and just ignoring the fact that it's the law that they have to do that).

Conspiracy theories run amok.

That picture of the child made me think of a news story I saw about two white teenage girls who walked around in a Sephora using makeup to do blackfaces on themselves. I seriously question what kind of moral vacuum of homes they are growing up in, and why they think that's funny or ok.

If I had kids they would have been taught about racism by me, and if they did something like that well there would be holy heck to pay.

I also would never have let them dress up as Native Americans, and would have educated them about respecting their culture and their status as THE original Americans. And how they were and are treated regardless of that FACT.

Some mass shooters have been selectively protected, even by police and courts. I believe it was the one who shot the African Americans at the Bible study in their church who was coddled by police officers, they stopped for food for him and treated him like he had committed a petty crime. There are other examples.


Are you speaking of the 9 people killed at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina.

 

Dylann Roof is on death row at Terre Haute Federal Prison in Indiana.

 

Roof was convicted of murder and other counts, including nine counts of racially motivated hate crimes resulting in death.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,085
Registered: ‎01-06-2015

Re: Shooting At Super Bowl Parade

@Iwantcoffee Yes and the legal system gave him what he deserved. The police officers who arrested him coddled him.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,547
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Shooting At Super Bowl Parade


@Isobel Archer wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

Saw this on social media ..

 

If you're a mass shooter at a Kansas City Chiefs parade, the media protects your identity because you're "under 18."

 

If you're a fan in face paint at a Kansas City Chiefs game, the media tries to ruin your life, calling you a racist at 9 years old.

 

Image


Yes and there is also media outrage if you dare call the shooters "thugs."  But as you note calling a 9 year old boy a "racist" is perfectly fine.


Back when this child went to the game to support his team, it came out just couple of days later his father is a native American.  Not only did the media originally tried to show just the black side of his face and not the red but did not include he is a native American as well. 

I hope the child's parents win their lawsuit.  My great grandfather was a full blood Cherokee and married my very white and from a very victorian family great grandmother against the wishes of everyone in 1917.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."