Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shooting At San Francsco UPS Building

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I don't want to speak for her at all, but my interpretation of what she was saying is that she understands that unrelenting stress can cause people to "snap". To the point that they make this decision. To me that's the critical mass-you make a decision regarding what to do about this stress. That's where appropriate  vs inappropriate action occurs.

A mentally ill person cannot possess the rational thinking ability to make an appropriate decision. That's the difference.

But anyone can succumb to extreme stress. The effects on the mind and body are astounding. All the research on that is available. Understanding is not the same as condoning. If we don't try to understand how do we solve these problems?

@Greeneyedlady21

Yes, thank-you, that's exactly what I was trying to say! Woman Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

UPDATE: 

Most of the UPS employees were seriously traumatized.  Several were shot and remain in the hospital, their names have not been released.  It's very difficult to get information.

My daughter saw a UPS delivery truck today and rushed out to ask the two UPS men if they knew anything about our friend.  They said no, it's all very hush hush, they had been brought in from elsewhere with many others to take over for SF delivery people.

Of the three men killed, one was a well loved large man named Big Mike, so well loved, a Safeway store and parking lot in his area was set up as a memorial to him.  The pix we've seen are filled with cards, notes and mourners.

The second man had the Haight street route and was loved by small businesses on his route and even the homeless who would sleep in doorways, he was good to them all.

The third, an Asian man was a well known volleyball coach and player who was about to go on an international competition trip for players. He spent his free time teaching groups of kids for free.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I don't want to speak for her at all, but my interpretation of what she was saying is that she understands that unrelenting stress can cause people to "snap". To the point that they make this decision. To me that's the critical mass-you make a decision regarding what to do about this stress. That's where appropriate  vs inappropriate action occurs.

A mentally ill person cannot possess the rational thinking ability to make an appropriate decision. That's the difference.

But anyone can succumb to extreme stress. The effects on the mind and body are astounding. All the research on that is available. Understanding is not the same as condoning. If we don't try to understand how do we solve these problems?

But not have the same outcome. I do not understand his "unrelenting stress" excuse to shoot up his place of employment. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 Maybe someone should have taken note of his posts, emails and blog entries and reported anything in uppercase prior to his snapping.  

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

But not have the same outcome. I do not understand his "unrelenting stress" excuse to shoot up his place of employment. 

@truffle

I don't understand it, either.  I don't know about the stress, but he had a history of mental illness.